10 Best Adventure Travel Destinations
If you like to travel but are looking for more than just the same old vacation, here are the ten best adventure travel destinations. A vacation based on creating an adventure is a great way to add excitement to your trip. These trips can be enjoyed by all types of travelers both young and old.
- Rafting in the Grand Canyon. This is one of the best adventure destinations in the United States. Rafting down the Colorado River will bring the excitement of going through some of the biggest rapids on the earth.
- Costa Rica. Costa Rica is a beautiful area with a lot of adventure to be had. You can ride a zip line through the Monteverde Forest, or go to the active Arena Volcano. The Corcovado National Park and Osa Peninsula are also considered some of the most extreme diving areas in the area.
- Alaska. What better way to have a travel adventure in Alaska than riding a dog sled. Sled through the beautiful area as you see the wildlife during the day, and sleep in tents with heated walls during the night. You can even have a turn mushing.
- African safari. Riding on a safari through Tanzania is an adventure for the whole family. As long as your kids are teenagers you can experience an up close view of the wildlife in the game parks of Africa. See lions, herds of elephants, and zebra's as they live in their natural habitats.
- Amazon River. Start in Peru and take a speed boat tour down the Amazon River with stops at a floating village, lagoons for swimming, and even for piranha fishing.
- New Zealand. New Zealand is your adventure destination for Heli-skiing or Heli-boarding. Believe it or not, you don't need to be an expert skier or boarder to ride a helicopter to the top of the Harris Mountains and experience the beautiful scenery and the exhilaration of skiing down these slopes. There are many different areas to choose from depending on your abilities.
- Antarctica. Sail from Argentina on an ice breaking boat to the Antarctic Peninsula. See the giant icebergs and the crabeater seals. From here you can take a helicopter to see a colony of penguins.
- Australia. Experience the adventure of Australian outback by taking a trip to the Down Under. You can also take in the rainforest, and then end your trip out on the Great Barrier Reef.
- Grand Staircase. A great adventure vacation can be enjoyed without even leaving the United Stated. The Grand Staircase is a huge staircase formed out of rocks that lies between Bryce Canyon and the Grand Canyon. A mountain biking trip through the area will provide an adventure filled with wildlife, great scenery, and thrilling rides.
- South Africa. If you are up for a real adrenaline pumping travel adventure you can try shark diving off the coast of Cape Point in South Africa. Go out into the open water and dive with the blue sharks.