10 Best African American Female Singers
The list of the 10 best African American female singers brings together singers from pop, rock, soul and gospel. All of these women have made headlines with their voices and have entertained millions of people all over the world. Sit back and enjoy the sounds of the 10 best African American female singers of all time.
- Aretha Franklin. No list of the 10 best African American female singers of all time is complete without the Queen of Soul, Aretha Franklin. Her powerful voice has been featured in many different genres and her career has spanned decades.
- Donna Summer. Another queen for the list of the 10 best African American female singers makes it to the list. This time it is the Queen of Disco, Donna Summer. She racked up hits in the 1970's and was still able to stay on the charts on into the 1980's, long after disco was gone.
- Mariah Carey. Mariah Carey has often been credited with having the highest voice in the history of music. Her string of hits and powerful voice make her one of the 10 best African American female singers ever.
- Whitney Houston. Prior to her very public downfall in the 1990's thanks to drugs and singer Bobby Brown, Whitney Houston was one of the most popular black pop singers in the world. She has tried on several occasions to make a comeback, but the world is still waiting for that form that made her one of the 10 best African American female singers ever.
- Tina Turner. Tina Turner is an R&B, rock and pop singer that has legions of fans all over the world. It would seem wrong to have a list of the 10 best African American female singers and not include Tina Turner.
- Janet Jackson. Early in her career Janet Jackson was accused of using her last name to win her fame and success. As her career moved forward it was very apparent that Janet Jackson is one of the 10 best African American female singers of all time.
- Lena Horne. Because her career was forged during the turbulent racial tensions in the 1940's and 50's, and because of her suspected dealings as a communist, the world never got to hear the full force of the voice of Lena Horne. She definitely ranks as one of the 10 best African American female singers ever.
- Beyonce. From her days with Destiny's Child to her many hit movies, Beyonce has shown that she is more than just a singer. But when she does get down to singing, she is one of the best African American female singers to ever grace a stage.
- Gladys Night. With or without her back-up group The Pips, Gladys Night was a sophisticated lady who loved to entertain. She was a credit to the music business and definitely one on of the 10 best African American female singers of all time.
- Patty LaBelle. Very few singers captivated a live audience with her voice more than Patty LaBelle did. Her performances included booming high notes and powerful low notes that showed the range of a virtuoso.