The top 10 African-American women singers have amazing pipes to belt out ballads. They adorn bodily curves to drive men crazy and possess singing chops that can bring a house down. Grammy winners and record breakers, these women are not only great singers, they are the best of the best. They sing popular music, R&B, rap, hip-hop and/or gospel–you name it, they can sing it. These fine female superstars got it all going on.
- Mariah Carey This incredible recording artist is a singer, songwriter, actor and record producer. Outside of winning Grammy, American Music and Billboard Music Awards, she was granted an honor no other female artist has in history: She was the recipient of an Special Achievement Award by both American Music Award and World Award for having the most number one singles of any female in history! She’s not just a top African-American female singer, she’s the best of the best.
- Beyoncé A southern girl from Texas, Beyonce rose up the ranks of fame as a singer-songwriter and front woman of the all female trio Destiny’s Child. She broke away from the band and released her debut solo album “Dangerously in Love.” She also won five Grammy Awards in a single night. Oh yeah, she’s got the goods.
- Alicia Keys This New Yorker is a singer, songwriter and prolific on the piano. Her second album landed her five Grammy Awards, including Artist of the Year, bringing this fine top ten African-American singer as one of the best in the country.
- Queen Latifah Her birth name is Dana Elaine Owens, but she’s known as the Queen of Rap. She’s a singer and an actress who's won a Grammy Award, two Golden Globes and two Screen Actors Guilds Awards. She’s not only a top ten African-American female singer, she’s a triple threat star!
- Janet Jackson The youngest child of the Jackson dynasty. Her two multi-million dollar contracts with Virgin records made her–at that time–the highest paid recording artist in history. Billboard records ranked her as one of the top ten best-selling artists in history, selling over 100 million records worldwide. Janet more than established herself as one of the top ten African-American female singers.
- Whitney Houston She is known as "The Voice” having a five-octave range. Her debut album at that time was the biggest-selling debut album of all time and she holds the record of seven back-to-back number one hit singles. She sings pop, gospel and ballads out the whazoo. Whitney Houston paved the way for others African-American female artists to succeed after her. She’s got a new album and she’s back on the charts.
- Jordin Sparks Winner of "American Idol," this young lady set her own mark with nineteen hit singles on the Billboard Charts. She toured with Alicia Keys twice and has garnered two certified platinum singles.
- Mary J. Blige She’s a singer, songwriter, producer and actress. She’s won just about every award out there: Grammy, American Music, BET, MTV, Billboard Music and Soul Train. If that’s not a top ten African-American singer superstar, what is?
- Jennifer Hudson Another "American Idol" contest. While she has released only one studio album, it’s her ballad-belting songs in the musical “Dreamgirls” that catapulted Jennifer into the spotlight. She won an Oscar for her incredible performance due to her amazing singing in the movie. She one of the top African-American female singers to keep an eye out for success on the horizon.
- Missy Elliot Birth name Melissa Arnette Elliot, this Virginian superstar is a singer, songwriter, record producer and bonafide female rapper. She’s the only female rapper to sell six platinum albums and a double platinum album. As a songwriter, she’s collaborated with many artists including Mariah Carey, Mary J. Blige and Janet Jackson to name a few.
What Others Are Reading Right Now.
6 Signs She Wants You to Come Talk to Her at the Bar
These not-so-subtle hints mean legit interest—and time for action.
Do This Surprising Thing and Science Says Women Will Be All ...
No, it's not "buy a Ferrari."
10 Real-Life Heroes Who Inspired Indiana Jones
Legend has it, these guys are the real MVPs.