These 10 best Allen Iverson quotes may be the reason he is known as "The Answer". Allen Iverson is one of the most explosive guards in the NBA, talking a big game both on and off the court. Over the course of his career, Iverson has dropped a few golden quotes for reporters, here are 10 of the best.
- "People try to start things with me because of who I am, and I know that means I have to stay away. It's definitely racial." – Allen Iverson, in Newport News City Farm, a work camp where he spent time after a racially charged brawl in high school.
- "I didn't come into this league thinking I knew everything, the way some people think I did. I knew I had a lot to learn. I just wanted to learn it all right away." – Iverson during his NBA rookie season.
- "You honestly don't really feel it when the shots are going down. You don't ever get the goose bumps until the fans start to appreciate what you're doing." – Iverson after scoring 60 points in a 112-99 win over the Orlando Magic in 2005.
- "This was the best. I won the state championship in football and basketball in high school. I went to the Dance in college. I played in the World Youth Games. Nothing compares to this. Nothing." – Iverson after a 104-90 win over the Orlando Magic in Game 1 of the first round of the NBA playoffs in 1999.
- "I believe in my heart I'm the best player in the world. I'm just a scorer. I try to put the ball in the basket for my team. I'm just confident in my ability to play ball." – Iverson said on Jan. 15, 2002 after dropping 58 points on the Houston Rockets.
- "This is the best part of coming to a new place. I always thought that I would retire in Philadelphia. I never imagined going to another city and playing. This is the best part of it all, when you go somewhere and you're accepted by the fans and the people in the community. I had chill bumps right now just due to the fact that all these people are here … I'm just happy about that." – Iverson during his press conference when he joined the Memphis Grizzlies Sept. 10, 2009
- "If your kid goes out and blows somebody's head off because Allen Iverson has said he was going to blow somebody's head off on wax, then you're doing a bad job as a parent." – Iverson told "The Philadelphia Inquirer" when talking about the song "40 Bars" on his upcoming rap album.
- "I don't know any first team All-NBA (player) that comes off the bench. Why Allen Iverson? Why should I come off the bench? … I think it is an insult to me. Who I am as a player, who I am to this organization, who I've been to this organization, that's an insult to me to come off the bench if I'm a starter." – Iverson's reaction when told by Philadelphia 76ers coaching staff that he would come off the bench.
- "I had to use the whole jail situation as something positive. Going to jail, someone sees something weak in you, they'll exploit it. I never showed any weakness. I just kept going strong until I came out." – Iverson reflecting on his time in jail after being found guilty of starting a brawl in his high school in Hampton, Virginia.
- "If I can't practice, I can't practice. It is as simple as that. I ain't about that at all. It's easy to sum it up if you're just talking about practice. We're sitting here, and I'm supposed to be the franchise player, and we're talking about practice. I mean listen, we're sitting here talking about practice, not a game, not a game, not a game, but we're talking about practice. Not the game that I go out there and die for and play every game like it's my last, but we're talking about practice man. How silly is that?" – Iverson's Sept. 5, 2002 rant about missing practice with the 76ers.
What Others Are Reading Right Now.
Meet Amber Heard, Billion-Dollar Girlfriend
Girl picks herself some winners, wallet-wise.
What You Can Learn From Your Date’s Outfit—Including How Luc...
From the daddy’s girl to the free spirit to the trendsetter, we’ve got you covered.
10 Reasons Your Wife Is Unhappy in Your Marriage
Don't shoot the messenger. This is what science says.