Many of the 10 best American actresses ever have had careers spanning over decades. All of them have been met with commercial and critical acclaim. Some of these American actresses are already legends, and some are legends in the making.
- Katharine Hepburn. As of 2010, Katharine Hepburn won more Oscars for Best Actress than any other female.
- Meryl Streep. Meryl Streep is perhaps the greatest of all American actresses still performing today. She has been nominated for Academy Awards 16 times, and won twice.
- Bette Davis. Bette Davis was the first female to be honored by the American Film Institute with a Lifetime Achievement Award.
- Jodie Foster. Jodie Foster began acting at an early age, and received her first Academy Award nomination at the age of 14. Her long and successful career earns her a place on the list of best American actresses.
- Grace Kelly. Princess Grace began her career on the New York stage and later made the move into film. She retired from acting when she was just 26 years old, when she married the Prince of Monaco.
- Jessica Lange. Over the course of her long career, Jessica Lange has been nominated for six Oscars, and won two of them.
- Sissy Spacek. Sissy Spacek is most well known for her title role in the horror movie “Carrie,” but she is a multi-talented performer. She won an Academy Award for her role in “Coal Miner’s Daughter” and was also nominated for a Grammy for the soundtrack.
- Julia Roberts. Julia Roberts is one of the most popular American actresses of all time, and she has also been met with critical acclaim for many of her roles. She has been nominated for an Academy Award three times and won for her role in “Erin Brockovich.”
- Glenn Close. Glenn Close has received five Academy Award nominations for her work in film. She has also won Emmys, Golden Globes, and Tony Awards, cementing her place on the list of best American actresses ever.
- Laura Linney. Laura Linney had her break-out role in “The Truman Show,” as the wife of Jim Carrey’s character. Since then, she has received numerous nominations, critical acclaim, and widespread popularity.
What Others Are Reading Right Now.
How to Turn (Almost) Every Lady’s Head
Top female stylists share their favorite men’s looks.
6 Signs the Beard Is Just Not Working for You
You may need to grab a razor and ditch the facial fuzz.
Acting, comedy and strong spirits converge in Speakeasy. When host Russell Peters interviews entertainers about all sorts of topics, neither the drinks nor the conversation is wate …