The list of the 10 best American soccer players of all time consists of mostly recent players, as American soccer has taken a step forward in the past two decades. When thinking about the great soccer players of the world, Americans are not the first to come to mind. However, the United States is an up and coming soccer nation that is producing increasingly better soccer players. Here are 10 of the best American players to play the game of soccer.
- Brad Friedel– While in the past the US has had trouble producing world class players, that is not the case with one position: goalkeeper. America has produced top notch goalkeepers who play at the highest level throughout the world the best has been Brad Friedel. He has been arguably the most successful American soccer player overseas, as he has played for several English Premier teams including Liverpool, Blackburn, and Aston Villa. He was a main part of the Americans' run to the quaterfinals of the 2002 World Cup.
- Cludio Reyna– Fifth on the all time cap list, Claudio Reyna was a mainstay for the men's national soccer team, and is one of the best American soccer players of all time. The midfielder played successfully in England, including four years at Manchester City. Helped the 2002 World Cup team reach the quarterfinals.
- Brian McBride– A top striker for the U.S. for a decade, McBride was also only the second American to serve as captain for an English Premier team. He is one of the best players to play in the MLS, while also playing in England and Germany. McBride is the third leading scorer in the history of the USMNT.
- Kasey Keller– As previously mentioned, the U.S. has been able to produce world class goalkeepers and one of the best is Kasey Keller. He spent 15 years playing in Germany and England, including a stop at the English Premier team Fulham. He was also a member of four World Cup teams and named U.S. Soccer Athlete of the Year three times.
- John Harkes– Harkes is one of the best American soccer players for both his play and leadership. The former national team captain, Harkes played in two World Cups. Harkes played six years in England and also helped the growth of the MLS, playing for D.C. and New England. Harkes enjoyed a very successful career both with club and national teams.
- Landon Donovan– Today's best American soccer player and one who could go down as the best of all time. He holds the record for most goals and assists for the men's national team. His long list of honors include MLS MVP, two time U.S. Soccer Athlete of the Year, and six time Honda Player of the Year.
- Thomas Dooley– Dooley was born in Germany and gained U.S. citizenship in 1992. Only a year later he was named U.S. Soccer Athlete of the Year. Was a member of the 1994 World Cup Team and captain of the 1998 team. Started his career in Germany and finished in the MLS where he was named to the best XI twice.
- Eric Wynalda– Wynalda played professionally in both Germany and the MLS. He is the second leading scorer in MNT history. In 1996 he was named U.S. soccer player of the year. Harkes is one of the best American soccer players, and possibly the best striker the U.S. has produced so far.
- Joe-Max Moore– The fourth leading scorer in USMNT history, Moore played 100 games for the men's team. While playing in Germany, he led his team in scoring. Also played in England and in the MLS.
- Eddie Pope– A list of best American soccer players could not be complete without a defender. Possibly the best defender the U.S. has produced, Pope spent his entire career in the MLS. He was named MLS Defender of the Year and part of the Best XI in 1997. He was also a mainstay for the national team for several years.
What Others Are Reading Right Now.
15 Women Confess the One Thing They’d Never Admit to T...
"I masturbate any opportunity I get when he is not home.”
Brace Yourself for the Most Overrated Wrestlers of All Time
Let the outrage begin!
Do This Surprising Thing and Science Says Women Will Be All ...
No, it's not "buy a Ferrari."