10 Best American Winter Olympic Athletes of All Time
Who were the ten best American Olympic athletes of all time? That would depend of course upon the criteria one uses to determine "best". Are the athletes who accomplish a first the best, or set the most World or Olympic records the best? Perhaps the one who competed in the most Olympics? Since the whole purpose of competing, besides representing ones country, is to win a medal for your country, perhaps that is how we should judge the best for our purposes.
So who were the ten American Winter Olympic athletes who have won the most medals?
- Apolo Anton Ohno - Apolo Ono won eight medals for the U.S.A. in short track speed skating. His eight medals included two gold, two silver and four bronze medals.
- Bonnie Blair - Bonnie Blair won six medals in speed skating. Her six medals included five gold, and one bronze medal.
- Eric Heiden - Eric Heiden won five medals in speed skating in 1980. All five of his medals were gold medals.
- Bode Miller - Bode Miller won five medals for the U.S.A. in skiing. His five medals consist of one gold, three silver, and one bronze.
- Chad Hedrik - Chad Hedrik won five medals for Team U.S.A. in speed skating. The five medals consisted of one gold, two silver, and two bronze medals
- Shani Davis - Shani Davis won four medals for Team U.S.A. in speed skating. He won two gold, and two silver medals.
- Cathy Turner - Cathy Turner won four Olympic medals for the U.S.A. while competing in short track speed skating They consisted of two gold, one bronze and one silver medal.
- Diane Holum - Diane Holum won four Olympic medals for America while competing in speed skating. Her medals consisted of one gold, two silver, and one bronze medal.
- Angela Ruggiero - Angela Won four medals for Team U.S.A. while playing as part of the women's hockey teams. Her medals consisted of one gold, two silver, and one bronze medals.
- Julia Mancuso & Patrik Martin - Julia Mancuso won three medals for Team U.S.A. in alpine skiing. Her medals consisted of one gold and two silver medals. Patrik Martin won three medals also in bobsleigh and they also consisted of one gold and two silver medals.
Now some will argue that athletes who compete in team sports might not be the "best", but the fact is they competed, and they won medals, and they deserve the acknowledgement of their accomplishments just like any other. There are a number of American Winter Olympic athletes with three medals, but those not shown had less silver or gold medals than the two who tied for tenth. They could easily have been included however.
Are these the best American Winter Olympic athletes? Who knows for sure, but they have the hardware to say they are right up there...
You can see where your favorite Olympic athletes are on the list here.