Need to know the 10 best anaerobic exercises? When engaging in anaerobic exercises, you are essentially pushing your muscles in short bursts of about 90 seconds or less. Anaerobic exercise does not supply the body with oxygen the way aerobic exercise does. Anaerobic exercise is not a technique for losing weight. In fact, may people using anaerobic exercise actually gain weight. While performing anaerobic exercise may burn fat, it also builds muscle which can actually increase weight. Muscle weighs more than fat so many will see a gain in weight instead of a loss in weight. If you are looking to build muscle mass, use these top 10 anaerobic exercises and you will see muscle bulk in no time.
- Heavy weight lifting – This is the most popular form of anaerobic exercise and one of the best anaerobic exercises you can do is heavy weight lifting. Lift as heavy a weight as you can handle without sacrificing correct form for any weight lifting exercise. If you have to heave the weight or can not maintain the correct form required for the exercise, reduce the amount of weight. You should only be able to complete 3-6 repetitions with the weight chosen until you reach muscle fatigue, or the inability to do even one more rep. If you can complete more than 6 reps, increase the weight. After each set, take an extended break of 2-5 minutes. Aim for 2-3 sets per exercise.
- Bike Sprints – Anaerobic exercise with bike sprints can be done on a stationary bike or an actual bike. Ride slowly for a few minutes, the lift up off the saddle and ride as fast as you can for 30 seconds to a minute and a half. Go back to riding slowly for 2-5 minutes. Sprint again. Keep repeating the sprint and slow pattern for at least 30 minutes.
- Running Sprints – When running for anaerobic exercise is it best to be on solid ground and not a treadmill. The treadmill at sprinting speeds and the rapid increase and decrease of speed becomes dangerous. Instead, hit the pavement or the track at the gym. Running sprints, considered one of the best anaerobic exercises, are done just like bike sprints. Jog or walk slowly for 2-5 minutes then sprint as fast as you can for 30 seconds to a minute and a half. Slow to a walk or easy jog. Keep repeating the pattern for at least 30 minutes.
- Jumping Rope – This type of anaerobic exercise is used most often by boxers. This anaerobic exercise is similar to sprints. Jump slowly for 2-5 minutes then jump as fast as you can for 30 seconds to a minute and a half. Slow to an easy jump. Keep repeating the pattern for at least 30 minutes.
- Swimming Sprints – Swimming can be anaerobic if done in sprints. Swim slowly for 2-5 minutes then sprint as fast as you can for 30 seconds to a minute and a half. Slow to an easy swim. Keep repeating the pattern for at least 30 minutes. Freestyle is the recommended swimming style for anaerobic sprints.
- Pull-ups – Pull-ups can be anaerobic if done as quickly as possible. Keep your body straight. Do not swing your body or kick to get above the bar. Continue until muscle fatigue is reached.
- Push-ups – As with pull-ups, push-ups are an anaerobic exercise when done in quick succession. Keep your body straight while performing push-ups for anaerobic results.
- Sit-ups – Sit-ups and crunches are also an anaerobic exercise. As with pull-ups and push-ups, continue rapidly until reaching muscle fatigue.
- Jumping – Jumping anaerobically can be done two ways. Jump straight into the air lifting your knees to your chest or begin in a crouch and then jump straight up.
- Punching – This is another anaerobic exercise used by boxers. Punch a bag in rapid jabs, alternating left and right fists, until reaching muscle fatigue.
Anaerobic exercise is not intended for weight loss or to build endurance. Anaerobic exercise builds muscle strength and power.
What Others Are Reading Right Now.
Acting, comedy and strong spirits converge in Speakeasy. When host Paul F. Tompkins interviews entertainers—Key and Peele, Alison Brie, Rob Delaney, Zach Galifianakis—about all sor …
Made Man Food Shows
We all love great food—and the people who make it! Our culinary video series introduces you to the country's best chefs and experts, so you can become one yourself. Pull up a chair …
21 Fantastic Facts About Ronda Rousey
This trivia’s like her fights: quick and jarring.