If you’ve ever seen the end of a bad relationship, you’ll be able to identify with the 10 best angry breakup songs. Full of lyrical emotion and relatable scenarios, these angry breakup songs can make you realize that you’re not alone.
- “You Oughta Know” – Alanis Morrisette In 1995, no man was safe from Morrisette’s wrath. The mega-successful album “Jagged Little Pill” contained this angry breakup song, a vengeful letter that unapologetically lists all the faults of an ex-lover.
- “I Will Survive” – Gloria Gaynor Definitely the most iconic of the ten best angry breakup songs, this 1978 classic gave strength to spurned lovers across the globe. Nothing else on the album “Love Tracks” came remotely close to equaling the power of this angry breakup song.
- “She Hates Me” – Puddle Of Mudd As the second single from the 2002 album “Come Clean,” this angry breakup song was a departure from the band’s previous work. Gritty, honest and profane, this song is a stark middle finger to an ex-girlfriend.
- “Everything About You” – Ugly Kid Joe “America’s Least Wanted” was an ironic title for Ugly Kid Joe’s hit 1992 release. Among the album’s well-crafted rock tracks was this angry breakup song, with lyrics that were nothing if not direct: “I get sick when I’m around / I can’t stand to be around / I hate everything about you.”
- “Song For The Dumped” – Ben Folds Five 1997’s “Whatever And Ever Amen” was a quirky album by a talented band. One of its many highlights was this angry breakup song. Victims of bad breakups can take solace in vengeful lyrics like “So you wanted to take a break? / Slow it down and have some space? / Fuck you too.”
- “Cold As Ice” – Foreigner Perhaps the cheesiest of the ten best angry breakup songs, this 1977 Foreigner tune from their self-titled album is also one of their best-known. You can feel the pain in Lou Gramm’s voice when he sings lines like “You’re digging for gold, you’re throwing away / A fortune in feelings, but someday you’ll pay.”
- “Hate (I Really Don’t Like You)” – Plain White T’s As the first single from the 2006 album “Every Second Counts,” this angry breakup song took the band in a new direction. Lyrically, it’s a frank admission of disgust toward an ex-girlfriend.
- “Far Behind” – Social Distortion Perennial punk rockers Social Distortion captured the essence of an angry breakup song in this 2007 tune from their “Greatest Hits” album. Singer Mike Ness’ raw emotion is on display in the lyrics “I’m cuttin’ you loose, I don’t need this misery / Your soul is toxic, you ain’t no friend of mine.”
- “Fuck You!” – Cee Lo Green Never one to mince words, Green got right down to business on this 2010 hit from the album “The Lady Killer.” Intense and relatable lyrics like “And although there’s pain in my chest / I still wish you the best / With a ‘fuck you’” helped make this angry breakup song a critical and commercial success.
- “Ex Girlfriend” – No Doubt Bringing some estrogen to the ten best angry breakup songs is this tune from the successful 2000 album “Return Of Saturn.” Singer Gwen Stefani yelps her disdain for a failed relationship in lines like “Why’d you have to go and pick me / When you knew that we were different, completely?”
What Others Are Reading Right Now.
How to Turn (Almost) Every Lady’s Head
Top female stylists share their favorite men’s looks.
10 Kung Fu Movies Every Man Should See
From the absolute classics to the so-bad-they're-amazing.
10 Red Flags That Kill Your Chances With Women
Wondering why that first date didn’t lead to a second? Read on.