The 10 best annual events in Alabama are held all over the state, from Mobile on the Gulf Coast to the northeastern corner in Huntsville. These annual events are for all ages and all price ranges.
- Huntsville Botanical Gardens Annual Spring Festival of Flowers. Bloom the gloom away throughout the month of April at the annual Spring Festival of Flowers held at the Huntsville Botanical Gardens. The Garden offers several seasonal flower displays, as well as annuals and over 1000 bulbs.
- The Annual Bridge Crossing Jubilee commemorates what was known as "Bloody Sunday," the 54 mile march from Selma to Montgomery on Sunday, March 7, 1965. Held at nearly the same time each March, this annual trek remembers those 600 people who were brutally attacked while marching for voting rights to all.
- The Annual Gulf Coast Hot Air Balloon Festival also makes the list of best annual events and features over 45 balloons from across the United Sates. Attendance averages 80,000 guests who enjoy live arts and crafts, bands, and local cuisine. This Festival is held in June in Foley, where you can even take a ride in a hot air balloon
- Tri-State BBQ Festival Held at the Houston County Farm Center during the month of April, this event draws some of the best BBQ the south has to offer.. Recognized by the Florida Bar-B-Que Association as a part of competition tour, the event has awarded over $45,000 in cash prizes. Prizes are awarded to four different categories: brisket, pork, chicken and ribs.
- Alabama Crawfish Festival If Bar-B-Que doesn't tantalize your tastebuds, the Alabama Crawfish Festival in Faunsdale will get you! Fresh from the Gulf, crawfish are an abundant staple in Alabama . The annual Crawfish Festival includes a crawfish eating Contest and authentic Cajun cooking. This festival runs in April.
- TalladegaSpeedway Home for a NASCAR Sprint Cup Series, Talladega is so famous, Hollywood made a movie about it! Heading out to Talladega has become an annual tradition for NASCAR fans.
- Big SpringJam Into music? Number four on the list of best annual events in Alabama includes a huge music festival. Huntsville hosts the Big Spring Jam the last weekend in September. 2009 headliners included Saving Abel, Sara Evans, Hewey Lewis and the News and The Fray.
- BayFest Still can't get enough Rock 'n Roll? Head down to Mobile where the first weekend in October plays host to Bayfest . The 15th Annual Bayfest of 2009 headliners ranged from Alan Jackson,Three Doors Down, Train, Cavo, Chevelle, Ludacris, and Akon. Bayfest brought over 200,000 people to the city.
- Iron Bowl No matter if you’re a Crimson Tide or Tigers fan, the Iron Bowl (a college football game between the University of Alabama and Auburn University) showdown is one of the most honored traditions in Alabama. The games are played at Bryant-Denny Stadium in Tuscaloosa every year ending in an even number, and at Jordan-Hare Stadium in Auburn every year ending in an odd number. Alabama boasts 36 victories to Auburn's 26.
- Mardi Gras Topping the list of the best annual events in Alabama, we head back to the Gulf Coast. Did you know that Mobile is the original home of Mardi Gras? Dating back to 1703, Mardi Gras is a holiday for Mobile and Baldwin counties. This annual celebration involves more than seventeen parades, stretching over a month, involves several balls and is a family friendly event.
There you have it! Ten of the best annual events and festivals in the great state of Alabama. Nothing like some southern hospitality to make you feel welcome. And while you're here, don't be shy about joining in on a rendition of Sweet Home Alabama. You'll hear it at every festival and event in the state!