10 Best Annual Events In Virginia
There are many things that happen yearly in this eastern state but few qualify for the title of the ten best annual events in Virginia. Virginia is a historic state for a variety of reasons, and the state attracts people from all over the United States and the world itself. As such, the majority of its annual events do have some historical significance either for the United States as a whole or simply for Virginia itself.
- The Virginia Arts Festival is held in April and contains internationally acclaimed artists joined from around the globe to celebrate art. Included in the collection of arts are fantastic presentations of music, theatre, and dance. Due to its easy accessibility and the many things that the the arts festival offers, the Virginia Arts Festival easily makes the list of the ten best annual events in Virginia.
- An annual event that makes up much of Virginia's last one hundred years is the Annual Shenandoah Apple Blossom Festival. Including the world's largest firefighters' parade and a fantastic fireworks display, the festival has something for everyone regardless of where they may come from. The large crowds that the festival draws is reason enough alone for it to have made the list of the top ten best annual events in Virginia.
- A famous collection of Native American artists and events is held in Virginia yearly and is a great way to understand and enjoy Native American ancestry all at one time and in one place. For a cheap admission price and a guaranteed good time, the Monacan Powwow is one of the best annual events in Virginia to take your family, either for fun or just to learn about a unique and interesting part of American history.
- Virginia Beach, Virginia is a huge tourist attraction in and of itself with its beautiful beaches and a fantastic social scene which offers exactly what any beach goer is interested in. A four-day art festival held in June, the Virginia Beach Boardwalk Arts Show features art, shopping, and excellent food. The combination of those events, as well as the timing, makes it easy to see why anyone would want to include this on the list of the best annual events in Virginia.
- For fans of pirates and history or simply fans of a good time, the Blackbeard Pirate Festival and Ball held in July in Hampton, Virginia will have something for everyone. It includes a reenacted battle between a pirate and a member of the Royal Navy. Some of the events that make this particularly interesting are the full-scale sea battles which truly make the experience come to life.
- Another attraction that draws people from all over the country is the Pony Swim and Auction held in Chincoteague National Wildlife Refuge on Assateague Island on the Eastern Shore of Virginia. The local firemen round up the ponies and swim them across the channel to Chincoteague Island where they are eventually auctioned off. This is one of the best annual events in Virginia because of the sheer beauty of the ponies swimming across the channel.
- The Annual Galax Old Fiddler's Convention is the oldest convention in the country and has lead to the venue being named as the "World's Capital of Old-time Mountain Music."
- The State Fair of Virginia tends to draw people from surrounding states for the fun and excitement that comes with being one of the largest state gatherings over a three day weekend. For memory's sake alone, the State Fair of Virginia definitely makes the list of the ten best annual events in Virginia.
- Historically, Williamsburg is amazing. This is why there is an annual event held right in the center of the colonial area. The first Thanksgiving Event at the Berkley Plantation is a look back at what once was and is a way to better understand how things came to be.
- December is always a magical time of the year and Virginia hosts the 100 Miles of Lights, which combines state parks located in all of the major cities to form beautiful displays of lights that people can either walk or drive through, depending on the display. It's a Virginia state classic and sure to make a memory or two.