The 10 best Argentina soccer players were not enough to lift the World Cup in 2010. Whether that was the fault of coach Diego Maradona remains the subject of discussion in Buenos Aires but the quality of the players is undisputed. Argentina have an abundance of great players, particularly attackers but the following are the 10 best Argentine soccer stars.
- Lionel Messi (Barcelona) Lionel has followed in the footsteps of Maradona at Barcelona and as someone who handballs to score goals. When he is not touching it with his hand he has the ball at his feet and shows himself to be one of the 10 best players in the world, week after week.
- Carlos Tevez (Man City) Were it not for Messi, people would think of Tevez as the new Maradona. The Man City star has an amazing scoring record and is more willing to do defensive duties than most attackers.
- Gonzalo Higuain (Real Madrid) Being a starter for Real is not enough to get Higuain in the Argentina team because there are so many other great soccer players in contention. Higuain has one of the best scoring records in recent seasons and is clearly one of his nations 10 best players.
- Diego Milito (Inter) A journeyman for many years, Diego finally found a home at Inter and enjoyed instant success. He can play in midfield or attack but either way is one of the best soccer players in Seria A.
- Javier Mascherano (Barcelona) Javier left Liverpool to go to Spain and the fact he cost a fortune says a lot about his quality. Many believe he is the best soccer player from Argentina but as a defensive midfielder he will never attract the same attention as the strikers.
- Angel Di Maria (Real Madrid) Virtually unknown a few years ago, Di Maria caught the eye by tearing apart the Everton defense in the Europa cup in 2009. The brilliant winger earned himself a move to Madrid and the future looks bright for this soccer player from Argentina.
- Gabriel Heinze (Marseille) Heinze left Man Utd under a cloud and then had a mediocre spell at Madrid but at Marseille he is back to his best. He is one of the 10 best tacklers in the world game although he does tend to walk the line between fair and foul a little too often.
- Sergio Aguerro (Athletic Madrid) He is over shadowed by his girlfriends father, Maradona off the field and team mate Diego Forlan on the field but he still has enough quality to make the back pages. A terrific striker with skill and pace he looks set to become one of the best Argentina soccer players of his generation.
- Walter Samuel (Inter) Samuel looks like an extra from a Steven Seagal film. He is tough, tall and you would not want to mess with him. The rugged defender is the best of his class and helped Inter to European glory in 2010.
- Javier Zanetti (Inter) Closer to 40 than 30 and still regarded as one of the best soccer players in the Italian league, Zanetti is ageless. The attack-minded defender has been a fixture in Serie A for almost two decades and only a feud with Maradone ended his international career.
What Others Are Reading Right Now.
6 Signs She Wants You to Come Talk to Her at the Bar
These not-so-subtle hints mean legit interest—and time for action.
How to Turn (Almost) Every Lady’s Head
Top female stylists share their favorite men’s looks.
The 7 Best Exercises to Build Arms That Turn Heads
Because who doesn’t want wicked big guns?