If you're a fan of international cinema, then you definitely need to check out the 10 best Asian movies. These represent the pinnacle of films in the East, ranging from comedies and horror to dramas and romance. Grab your popcorn and a comfortable seat, it's time to find out what the best Asian movies in the world are.
- "Ju-On: The Grudge" This film is actually the third in a series of films that were originally made exclusively for television and video release. Telling the story of a social worker who is stalked by a rage-filled ghost terrified audiences all over Japan so much that American producers decided to adopt the license and release the film stateside.
- "Oldboy" If you're looking for a good revenge film, then "Oldboy" is one of the best Asian movies to satiate that desire. In this Korean, epic, Oh Dae-su is a man on a mission to find the men behind his mysterious fifteen year imprisonment. This Korean film is one of the most critically acclaimed and controversial products of its cinema culture in recent history.
- "My Sassy Girl" One of the highest grossing South Korean films, many belive it to be one of the best Asian movies of all time for being a romantic comedy with a soul. Telling the story of a hapless college student and a voracious young woman falling in love, "My Sassy Girl" will make you laugh while simultaneously pulling on your heart strings.
- "Attack the Gas Station" An action-comedy that is pure gold, this is one of the best Asian movies for its pure irreverence. Four thugs decide to rob a gas station out of sheer boredom in this Korean film that has equal parts chiding social commentary and explosive fist fights.
- "Sick Nurses" For fans of the "Saw" and "Hostel" series, this is your pick. Telling a chilling tale of scantily-clad nurses who are mixed up in a grotesque tale of extortion and betrayal, this Thai gore-fest shouldn't be watched with the lights off.
- "Spirited Away" It may be animated, but this epic from legendary film director Hayao Miyazaki is among the best Asian movies of all time for its sheer creativity. Chihiro is a young girl who must navigate her way through a world of spirits and demons in order to get back to her family.
- "Battle Royal" This controversial Japanese film tells the tale of a group of high school students who are whisked away to a remote island to be pitted against each other in a struggle for survival. Its mix of subtle commentary on the Japanese education system, mixed with the bloody violence of each teenage-driven feud, makes it one of the best Asian movies of all time.
- "Election" This film out of Hong Kong tells the tale of two rival gangs struggling for power to become the leader of the city's Triad Society. Its success, both commercially and critically, solidifies it as one of the best Asian movies in the history of cinema.
- "Taegukgi" Think of this as the Korean version of "Saving Private Ryan." This tale of two brothers during the Korean War is a cinematic masterpiece that showcases the horrors of armed conflict in ways viewers never thought possible.
- "Chungking Express" A masterpiece of Hong Kong-based auteur Wong Kar-wai, this film is enjoyable despite its absurdist presentation. Telling a tale of missed connections and coincidental acquiantances, this movie is less about the characters involved and more about the city of Hong Kong on a whole.
What Others Are Reading Right Now.
How to Turn (Almost) Every Lady’s Head
Top female stylists share their favorite men’s looks.
10 Kung Fu Movies Every Man Should See
From the absolute classics to the so-bad-they're-amazing.
10 Red Flags That Kill Your Chances With Women
Wondering why that first date didn’t lead to a second? Read on.