10 Best Awful Rap Songs
The 10 best awful rap songs remain in the public mind, usually bringing a smile to most people’s faces despite the songs being awful. They remain in constant play at karaoke bars and wedding receptions while being a horrible reminder of what used to pass of as rap music over the years.
- “Ice Ice Baby” by Vanilla Ice - One of the most reviled rap songs of all time is this best awful rap song by Robert Van Winkle, also known as Vanilla Ice. The song is the first hip-hop single to hit No. 1 on the Billboard charts. Vanilla Ice recently remixed “Ice Ice Baby” into a metal song.
- “U Can’t Touch This” by MC Hammer - M.C. Hammer’s greatest hit is this 1990 best awful rap song. The song reached No. 8 on the Billboard charts and developed into a pop culture reference. Hammer wasn’t able to retain his standing and ended up filing bankruptcy six years later.
- “Informer” by Snow - “Informer” is a 1992 song by Canadian reggae performer Snow. The song spent seven weeks in the number one on the Billboard charts. Snow was unable to capitalize in the success of this best awful rap song since he went to jail on assault charges for a year after its release.
- “Whoomp! (There it Is)” by Tag Team - “Whoomp! (There is Is)” is one of the best awful rap songs of 1993, reaching No. 2 on the Billboard charts. The song was a hit by one-hit wonder band Tag Team. A remix of the song was used in the movie “Addams Family Values” and won a Razzie for Worst Original Song.
- “Bust a Move” by Young MC - “Bust a Move” won a Grammy Award in 1999 for Best Rap Performance. This best awful rap song includes a bass track by Flea of the rock band Red Hot Chili Peppers. The song reached No. 7 on the Billboard charts and remains a mainstay in karaoke bars and wedding receptions.
- “Humpty Dance” by Digital Underground - “Humpty Dance” is the first song by the alter ego of Shock G, known as Humpty Hump, as is an incredibly catchy best awful rap song. The song lost out to “U Can’t Touch This” at the 1990 MTV Video Music Awards.
- “Baby Got Back” by Sir Mix-a-Lot - “Baby Got Back” might be one of the most requested karaoke songs. Sir Mix-s-Lot’s 1992 single, talking about the rap stars love of large butts, reached No. 1 on the Billboard charts, where it remained for five weeks.
- “Funky Cold Medina” by Tone Loc - Young MC, already represented with “Bust a Move,” also wrote this best awful rap song, performed by Los Angeles rapper Tone Loc. Loc, who also sang the awful rap song “Wild Thing,” reached No. 3 on the Billboard charts in 1989 for this song about a mystical love potion.
- “Good Vibrations” by Marky Mark and the Funky Bunch - Before Mark Wahlberg became a big movie star, he was Marky Mark and released this best awful rap song. The song hit No. 1 for the brother of New Kids on the Block member Donnie Wahlberg and helped make Mark Wahlberg a star.
- “Getting Jiggy With It” by Will Smith - After concluding his career in the duo DJ Jazzy Jeff and the Fresh Prince, the Fresh Prince began using his real name, Will Smith, and this song became his biggest solo hit. While Will Smith went on to become an Academy Award nominated actor, his music career remains fresh thanks to hits like this best awful rap song.