With the controversy over steroid use in baseball, many think back to the best baseball players of all time. Those who played without performance enhancements are often regarded as the true talents of the sport.
- Babe Ruth. Babe Ruth is regarded as one of the greatest American sports heroes in history, and is easily one of the best baseball players of all time. His career began with the Red Sox in 1914 before being sold to the Yankees in 1919. He remained there until he retired after a short stint with the Boston Braves in 1935. He became the first player to hit 60 home runs in one season, and hit 714 in his career.
- Lou Gehrig. Before he was stricken with a neurological disease now referred to as Lou Gehrig’s disease, Lou Gehrig became known for his streak of 2,130 consecutive games. Gerhig was a member of the Yankees for his entire career, winning both the MVP in 1927 and 1936 and the Triple Crown in 1934.
- Ted Williams. Often referred to as the greatest hitter in baseball, Ted Williams is another of the greatest baseball players of all time. Playing his entire career with the Red Sox, Williams won both the MVP and the Triple Crown twice, as well as leading the league in batting during six seasons and boasting a .551 on base percentage.
- Hank Aaron. As the only player to hit 30 or more home runs per season at least fifteen times, Hank Aaron is one of the best baseball players of all time. In 1974, Aaron broke the home run record set by Babe Ruth. His lifetime total of 755 lead the major leagues until it was broken in 2007. Aaron also holds the records for the most career extra-base hits and RBIs.
- Cy Young. With the most wins in MLB history, Cy Young earned both his place on the list of best baseball players of all time and the honor of having the award for the season’s best pitcher named after him. With 511 wins over his career, Young is also the pitcher with the most complete games and career innings pitched and pitched the sport’s first perfect game.
- Joe DiMaggio. Best known for his 56-game hitting streak, Joe DiMaggio is often considered one of the best baseball players of all time. DiMaggio is the only player to have been selected for the All-Star game in each season he played, and in 1969 was voted baseball’s greatest living player in a poll conducted as a part of the centennial celebration of baseball.
- Ty Cobb. As a player who is credited with setting 90 records throughout his, Ty Cobb is undoubtedly one of the best baseball players of all time. He still holds the record for highest career batting average and career batting titles. Cobb was also the player who received the most votes to be inducted into the Baseball Hall of Fame, receiving 222 out of the possible 226 votes.
- Willie Mays. With a record tying 24 appearances in the MLB All-Star game, Willie Mays is one of the best all-around baseball players of all time. He was elected to the Baseball Hall of Fame his first eligible year, one of few players to do so. He is currently fourth on the list of career home runs, with a total of 660. He has eight consecutive seasons with over 100 RBIs and hit over 50 home runs in both 1955 and 1965
- Roger Hornsby. Being the only National League player to win the Triple Crown twice earned Roger Hornsby a spot on the list of best baseball players of all time. He currently holds the record for the highest batting average in a season at .424. His career average of .358 is the highest for any right hand hitter. Hornsby also has a star on the St. Louis walk of Fame.
- Mickey Mantle. With 7 World Series Championships, Mickey Mantle is often on the list of best baseball players of all time. In addition, Mantle is also one of the best switch hitters of all time and currently holds the records for most World Series home runs, RBIs, runs, walks and extra-base hits.
What Others Are Reading Right Now.
Acting, comedy and strong spirits converge in Speakeasy. When host Paul F. Tompkins interviews entertainers—Key and Peele, Alison Brie, Rob Delaney, Zach Galifianakis—about all sor …
Emma Watson and Other Child Stars Who Grew Up To Be Hot
Throughout the Harry Potter film series, we've seen Emma Watson transform from a lovable child star into a burgeoning sex symbol. She's not the first actress to do so, and she cert …
10 Things Women Expect Men to Know How To Do
To make ladies swoon or at least not cringe, you’d better be able to handle the following…