The 10 best-selling female artists of all time need to have sold more than 50 million records in order to make the list. The beautiful and talented women on our list of have each sold more than 100 million records.
- Madonna. Without a doubt, Madonna had to be number one on our list. Throughout her music career she has sold over 300 million records around the world, which is more than any other female artist. "Like a Virgin" and "Material Girl" are two of her most popular songs. Madonna's accomplishments have earned her a spot with the Guinness World Records.
- Nana Mouskouri. Born in Greece on October 13, 1934, Nana Mouskouri’s musical career has lasted for more than 50 years. She has sold between 200 and 300 million records around the world with songs recorded in several languages, including Greek, English, German, French, and Spanish. Her 1981 song, "Je Chante Avec Toi, Liberté" became so successful in France that it was soon translated into several languages and became a worldwide hit.
- Celine Dion. This French-Canadian singer was first recognized for her singing talents around the world in 1982 when she won an award at the Yamaha World Popular Song Festival. She went on to become one of the most successful musicians in history, selling more than 200 million albums throughout the world. Her first English album was titled, "Unison." She had previously recorded several French albums.
- Mariah Carey. Also having sold more than 200 million albums worldwide is the American pop and R&B singer-songwriter, Mariah Carey. She is the first artist who’s first five singles made it to the top of the U.S. Billboard Hot 100 chart. "Vision Of Love," "Love Takes Time," and "Someday" are three of her number one hits from the early 1990's.
- Whitney Houston. Coming from a family of several soul singers, Whitney Houston must have had music in her blood. Her debut album, "Whitney Houston," was released in 1985 and soon became the best-selling debut album of its time period that had been recorded by a female artist. She has sold over 170 million albums and singles throughout the world.
- Barbra Streisand. Born in Brooklyn, New York, Streisand grew up to become a singer-songwriter, also winning several awards, including four Emmy Awards and eight Grammy Awards. She has sold more than 140 million albums worldwide, with songs including "Happy Days Are Here Again," "My Heart Belongs To Me," and "Somewhere."
- Janet Jackson. The youngest Jackson sibling proved to also possess a talent with music. She signed a recording contract at the age of 16 and initially faced criticisms concerning her singing abilities. But, that didn’t stop Jackson from pursuing her dreams. She has now sold more than 100 million records worldwide. Her album titled, "Janet Jackson's Rhythm Nation 1814" was the best selling album of 1990.
- Cher. This Goddess of Pop has won several awards, including an Academy Award, an Emmy Award, and a Grammy Award. She began her musical career as a backup singer, but eventually became a solo recording artist and her career has lasted for more than 45 years. She has sold over 100 million records throughout the world. At age 52, Cher recorded "Believe," which became a number one hit.
- Britney Spears. After releasing her first two albums, Britney spears was almost immediately a pop icon. Her debut album “…Baby One More Time” was released in 1999, followed by “Oops!… I Did It Again” and both of the title tracks were international number-one hits. She has sold over 100 million records around the world.
- Olivia Newton-John. Born in England, Raised in Australia, Olivia Newton-John has won a Grammy award and several of her songs have reached the Top Ten Billboard Hot 100 chart and the Billboard 200 chart. She has sold more than 100 million albums worldwide. The "Grease" soundtrack left Newton with multiple Top Five singles, including "Hopelessly Devoted To You."
What Others Are Reading Right Now.
10 Times Women Find You Incredibly Sexy
Roll up your sleeves and get to reading, gentlemen.
How to Turn (Almost) Every Lady’s Head
Top female stylists share their favorite men’s looks.
Acting, comedy and strong spirits converge in Speakeasy. When host Russell Peters interviews entertainers about all sorts of topics, neither the drinks nor the conversation is wate …