10 Best BFA Degree In Acting Programs
You should consider the ten best BFA degree in acting programs if you’re interested in pursuing a career as an actor. BFA stands for bachelor of fine arts, so the schools and acting programs you’re looking for offer a bachelor of fine arts degree in acting. The better the acting program you attend, the better your chances of becoming a great actor.
- Julliard. Located in New York City, Julliard is at the heart of one of the great theater cities in the world. Only 20 new students are accepted into the BFA degree in acting program per year, so you have to be better than great to get in.
- SUNY. This BFA degree in acting program is located at Purchase Collage in Purchase, New York. Students must be prepared to attend classes, seminars and rehearsals from early in the morning until late at night in this acting program. The best students get an audition with top producers, agents and directors.
- Yale. Yale’s BFA degree in acting program is very demanding. Rather than a performance based program, Yale’s BFA program focuses on academic aspects of acting, such as acting theory and the history of theater.
- California Institute of the Arts. Like Yale’s BFA program, this school focuses a lot on the academic sides of acting. For example, a lot of the coursework is taken through the School of Critical Studies.
- North Carolina School of the Arts. The BFA degree in acting program at this school focuses on both the skill and art sides of acting. Well known actors from Hollywood and Broadway have graduated from this program.
- New York University Tisch School of the Arts. This New York City based program includes practical training, as well as academic learning. It is comprised of multiple studios students study in, including subjects like directing, musical theater and design.
- Carnegie Mellon University. The BFA degree in acting program at this university lasts for four years. During this time, students learn sophisticated and traditional acting styles, including Shakespearian and Greek.
- Rutgers. Located in New Jersey at the Rutger’s Mason Gross School of the Arts, this acting program offers some unique opportunities. Students study both practical acting skills and the humanities side of acting and are required to study abroad in London for their entire junior year at the Rutgers Conservatory at Shakespeare's Globe.
- UC San Diego. Students can major in theatre and dance with this BFA degree in acting program. This program is also known for its expansive film studies opportunities, as well as its ability to give students practical experience on the stage.
- Northwestern Like other programs, this BFA degree in acting program offers students the chance to increase their knowledge and skill in the field of acting. Two separate departments on campus offer classes in the major. These include the School of Speech and the Weinberg College of Arts and Sciences.