Coming up with a list of 10 best black singers was not easy. There have been so many incredible artists over the course of time. It is hard to list just ten. These singers have no doubt greatly influenced music. These are the best black singers that have left their mark in the music genre of their choice as well as the music industry in general.
- Luther Vandross. Luther Vandross is one of the best black singers. His genre is R&B and Soul. Not only is he a talented singer, Luther is also a great record producer. He has sold over twenty million albums. Some of his top hits include “Here and Now,” “Your Secret Love” and “Dance With My Father.”
- Stevie Wonder. Stevie Wonder was born Stevland Hardaway Judkins. He is a singer, multi-instrumentalist, record producer and activist. He recorded with Motown records. His hit songs include “Superstition,” “I Just Called to Say I Love You,” and “Sir Duke.”
- Aretha Franklin. Aretha Franklin was born March 25, 1942. She is a black singer, songwriter and pianist. She is known as The Queen of Soul. She has 20 #1 singles in her amazing career. Her top hits include “Chain of Fools,” “Freeway of Love,” and “Respect.”
- Michael Jackson. Michael Jackson is one of the best black singers of all time. He was born Michael Joseph Jackson on August 29, 1958. sadly, Michael passed away on June 25, 2009. Michael is well known as The King of Pop. He was entered into the "Guinness Book of World Records" for being the most successful entertainer of all time. His hot songs include “Billie Jean,” “Thriller” and “Beat It.”
- Gladys Knight. Gladys Knight is one of the best black singers who is an R&B and soul singer. She is an actress, singer, humanitarian, businesswoman and author. She started her career with Gladys Knight and The Pips. She recorded with top producers: Motown and Buddah Records. Gladys is known as "The Empress of Soul." Her hits include “Men” and “Meet Me in the Middle.”
- Tupac Shakur. Tupac Shakur was a talented rapper who’s live ended way too soon. He was born in 1971 and died tragically in a drive-by shooting on September 13, 1996. Tupac Shakur sold over 75 million albums. Besides being an amazing singer, he was an actor and social activist. His hits include “California Love” and “Cradle to the Grave.”
- Jay-Z. Jay-Z is an amazing black singer who was born Shawn Corey Carter. He is the former CEO of Def Jam Recordings. He is the current founder of Roc Nation. He is known for his amazing hit songs such as “Lost One,” “Hey Papi” and “Empire State of Mind.”
- Marvin Gaye. I am sure many people will agree that Marvin Gaye is the best black singer. He was born in April in 1939 in Washington, D.C. He died in April of 1984. He was known as being an awesome singer as well as an instrumentalist with three-octave vocal range. He began his career with the doo-wop group, Moonglows in the 1950’s. His hits include “Sexual Healing” and “Pride and Joy.”
- Ella Fitzgerald. Ella Fitzgerald is known as the First Lady of Song as well as Lady Ella. She is an amazing jazz singer with a career expanding over 59 years. She received the National Medal of Art from Ronald Reagan. Her hit singles include “Tea Leaves,” “Crying in the Chapel” and “My Wubba Dolly.”
- Whitney Houston. Whitney Houston is an R&B and Pop singer as well as a talented actress and former fashion model. She has recorded 13 albums over her career run. She has sold over 200 million albums. Her hits include “I Will Always Love You” and “The Greatest Love of All.”
What Others Are Reading Right Now.
10 Times Women Find You Incredibly Sexy
Roll up your sleeves and get to reading, gentlemen.
How to Turn (Almost) Every Lady’s Head
Top female stylists share their favorite men’s looks.
6 Things You Think Your Girlfriend Cares About But She Doesn...
Guys, it may be time to refocus your efforts.