Since the 1970's more black players have risen to prominence in soccer leagues in every continent and the 10 best black soccer players are superstars known throughout the world. African players continue to emerge while Black players born in countries like England, France and Belguim have broken into teams that 30 years ago only had white players.
- Samuel Eto'o (Inter). The striker from Cameroon helped Barcelona to European glory and established himself as one of the best black players during a successful stint in Spain. Eto'o moved to Italy and the European cup came with him to the delight of Inter fans.
- Didier Drogba (Chelsea). Didier hails from war-torn Ivory Coast and is among the 10 best African soccer players of all time. Few defenders can match Drogba in the air and his powerful runs make him a danger from all areas of the field.
- Michael Essien (Chelsea). The Ghanaian midfielder had to fight for a place with German captain Michael Ballack at Chelsea but he won and became one of the best soccer players in the English Premier League. Essien is an old school tough tackling midfielder and few opponents get past him.
- Rio Ferdinand (Man Utd). The Man Utd defender has picked up where Sol Campbell left off as a stylish black soccer player with fantastic ball skills. He is a rock for England and his absence proved costly during the 2010 World Cup.
- Florent Malouda (Chelsea). Malouda was one of the players involved in the French team revolt at the 2010 World Cup but he does not usually court controversy. The winger from France is one of the star soccer players in the EPL and is a regular for club and country.
- Ashley Cole (Chelsea). The only England player to come out of the 2010 World Cup with any credit although he remains in the headlines more for his personal life than his playing. Ashley is an attacking left back with devastating speed and is regarded by many as the best left sided defender in the world.
- Yaya Toure (Man City). The brother of Kolo Toure has quickly emerged from his older siblings shadow and become known as one of the best African soccer players of all time. Yaya is a defensive midfielder but has the skill to turn defense to attack with amazing speed.
- Robinho (AC MIlan). The tiny Brazilian forward went to Italy after an unhappy spell in England but his form for his country has always been consistent. He has pace, skill and great ball control and his scoring record means he ranks among the best soccer players in the world.
- Emmanuel Adebayor (Man City). The lanky striker from Togo has fallen out with many team mates and coaches down the years but the fact he is still earning a small fortune for playing is reflective of his quality. Few players have a better scoring record for Adebayor and if there were a few players from Togo half as good as him then they would be a force to be reckoned with.
- Yakubu (Everton). Nigerian striker Yakubu is one of the best black players of his generation and continues to score regularly for club and country. Yakubu is not the most agile player but he knows how to put the ball in the back of the net.
What Others Are Reading Right Now.
6 Signs the Beard Is Just Not Working for You
You may need to grab a razor and ditch the facial fuzz.
Acting, comedy and strong spirits converge in Speakeasy. When host Russell Peters interviews entertainers about all sorts of topics, neither the drinks nor the conversation is wate …
10 Red Flags That Kill Your Chances With Women
Wondering why that first date didn’t lead to a second? Read on.