It's a joy to highlight the 10 best Bob Dylan lyrics because the man is an American musical poet. This only scratches the surface, however. If you like these lines, then by all means, study the man's entire catalogue. You won't be disappointed.
- "He not busy being born is busy dying," from "It's Alright Ma (I'm Only Bleeding)" — This Bob Dylan lyric should make you ask yourself if you're living or actually dying.
- "To live outside the law, you must be honest," from "Absolutely Sweet Marie" — Hey, coming from Dylan, this is some good advice for crooks that don't want to get caught.
- "You don't need a weather man to know which way the wind blows/Don't follow leaders watch the parkin' meters," from "Subterranean Homesick Blues" — Back in the '60s, some people just didn't get that the times they were a changing, even though it was obvious.
- "Steal a little and they throw you in jail, steal a lot and they make you King," from "Sweetheart like You" — Sometimes, the bad guys are honored for their bad behavior, especially for grand gestures.
- "Idiot wind, blowing through the buttons of our coats, blowing through the letters that we wrote/Idiot wind, blowing through the dust upon our shelves/We're idiots, babe. It's a wonder we can even feed ourselves," from "Idiot Wind" — This is Dylan at his angriest.
- "Inside the museums, infinity goes up on trial/Voices echo this is what salvation must be like after a while/But, Mona Lisa must have had the highway blues you can tell by the way she smiles," from "Visions of Johanna" — This is one long, but great, poem from Dylan.
- "The one was Texas medicine. the other was just railroad gin. And, like a fool, I mixed them and it strangled up my mind and now people just get uglier and I have no sense of time," from "Stuck Inside of Mobile with the Memphis Blues Again" — We have no idea what Dylan means by this, but we still love it.
- "Oh God said to Abraham, Kill me a son/Abe says, Man, you must be puttin' me on/God say, No. Abe say, What?/God say, You can do what you want Abe, bu the next time you see me comin' you better run/Well Abe says, Where do you want this killin' done?/God says, Out on Highway 61," from Highway 61 Revisited" — The Bible meets the Dirty South on this one.
- "Because something is happening here/But you don’t know what it is/Do you, Mister Jones?," from "Ballad Of A Thin Man" — Some are so focused on their meaningless little lives, they can't see what's happening around them.
- "You used to laugh about/Everybody that was hangin’ out/Now you don’t talk so loud/Now you don’t seem so proud/About having to be scrounging for your next meal," from "Like a Rolling Stone" — Dylan knew that even during a an era where all young people appeared to be winners, there were still many clear losers.
What Others Are Reading Right Now.
10 Times Women Find You Incredibly Sexy
Roll up your sleeves and get to reading, gentlemen.
6 Things You Think Your Girlfriend Cares About But She Doesn...
Guys, it may be time to refocus your efforts.
Acting, comedy and strong spirits converge in Speakeasy. When host Russell Peters interviews entertainers about all sorts of topics, neither the drinks nor the conversation is wate …