Bollywood is an informal term for the movie business centered in India, and it's fun to consider the 10 best Bollywood films, simply because these movies themselves are so much fun.
- "Black" This is actually quite a serious film, in a usually lighthearted genre, as it tells the story of a deaf, mute and blind woman, who encounters a teacher that brings hope into her life.
- "Lagaan: Once Upon a Time in India" In this story, an innocent game of cricket is turned into a class war statement. Only in India, eh?
- "Satya" Satya's the story of a man who has done wrong, framed for a crime he never committed.
- "Dilwale Dulhania Le Jayenge" At last, here's a film on the list that is relatively lighthearted, and deals with the struggle against Indian values in a rather fun way.
- "Qayamat Se Qayamat Tak" What happens when two young people love each other, but their dads hate each other? Well, this film explores this conflict as only one of the 10 best Bollywood films can.
- "Mr. India" Sometimes the bad luck in a person's life determines what that person becomes. Such is the case here, as an orphan dedicates his life to seeking out and helping orphans.
- "Jaane Bhi Do Yaaro" When two friends innocently start a business together, only to encounter bad guys and a murder plot, things get both crazy and fun. Believe me. It's one of the 10 best Bollywood films, ever.
- "Arth" This 1984 film is notable for Shabana Azmi's fine performance, which won her both a Filmfare award and National Film Award for her acting. Azmi is one of Bollywood's best.
- "Deewaar" Brothers may come from the same family, but this film shows just how different the lives of siblings can turn out.
- "Sholay" This Ramesh Sippy directed film looks at what happens when you hire bad guys to seek and destroy another bad guy.
What Others Are Reading Right Now.
Acting, comedy and strong spirits converge in Speakeasy. When host Paul F. Tompkins interviews entertainers—Key and Peele, Alison Brie, Rob Delaney, Zach Galifianakis—about all sor ...
10 Social-Media Problems Ello Solves
From privacy to nudity—why the Anti-Facebook's time has come.
Beer Brain: Sam Adams’ Kosmic Mother Funk
This private-reserve beer drinks like a fine port or brandy.