The best Bollywood movie trailers present some of the most inspired visuals you will see. Americans discovered Bollywood movies after the Oscar winning “Slumdog Millionaire” took the world by storm. However, Bollywood movies have had a foothold in cinema for a very long time. Here are ten of the best Bollywood movie trailers.
- "My Name Is Khan" (2010) Despite the language barrier, the trailer for “My Name Is Khan” shows the viewer everything they need to know about the storyline. Bollywood’s biggest star, Shahrukh Khan, stars as a Muslim suffering from Asperger’s syndrome who wants to tell the president his name is Khan and he is not a terrorist. The trailer shows just enough to make a person interested but does not spoil the important twists.
- "3 Idiots" (2009) “3 Idiots” is about engineering students attending a top Indian college. The trailer introduces the viewer to each of the main characters as they speak directly to the camera. The trailer then cuts to a collection of split screen montages featuring ridiculous situations. While the trailer never allows you to see what the movie might be about, it sucks you in just the same.
- "Ghajini" (2008) The trailer for “Ghajini” makes it look like “Memento,” the film it was originally based on. After a violent encounter leaves his wife dead, the lead character develops a form of amnesia that does not allow new memories. He uses photographs and body tattoos to help him remember specific clues as he seeks vengeance for her death. The movie appears, based on the trailer, to be very violent. It also implements various flashback scenes among the present day conflicts.
- "Rab Ne Bana Di Jodi" (2008) This Bollywood trailer sets up what appears to be a quirky love story as a nondescript man sets out on an extraordinary romantic adventure. The trailer presents scenes of dancing in fields, a sound stage, rooftops and in an empty warehouse. Meanwhile, other scenes are interspersed showing the dramatic meat of the picture to prove it is much more than a flimsy love story.
- "Om Shanti Om" (2007) The trailer for “Om Shanti Om” is a colorful mishmash of songs and dance numbers that screech to a halt with the film’s theme of fighting for your dreams. The visuals are dynamic, including a scene of the lead characters dancing in a giant snow globe and a scene with many of Bollywood’s well-known stars performing a song together.
- "Dhoom:2" (2006) This trailer borrows heavily from “Mission Impossible.” The movie is an espionage thriller, based on the same technological advances the “Mission Impossible” movies live on. The trailer focuses on insane action and stunts with a smattering of Matrix-styled moves.
- "Kal Ho Naa Ho" (2003) The trailer is a blitzkrieg of rapid cuts, leading us through various snapshots in the Bollywood movie’s time. While it starts as a tale of a hurt girl, the shots lengthen slightly as she meets someone she might fall in love with. When the trailer shows the difficulties in her accepting this happiness, the cuts speed up again and fly to the end. It is a dizzying trailer of images.
- "Dilwale Dulhania Le Jayenge" (1995) This Bollywood love story uses a trailer in a very different way. Instead of showing what the movie is about, it focuses instead on the two stars. The movie is about the love of these two individuals and the trailer is simply a number of shots of the main characters in action with an instrumental background.
- "Lagaan" (2001) “Lagaan” is about a group of peasants playing a game of cricket against evil British officers. The trailer is a typical sports underdog setup with some Bollywood production values added. The only downfall is the voice over explaining the story over the visuals.
- "Raajnetti" (2010) The trailer for this Bollywood movie shows much of the political intrigue on display in the film. There is a lot more dialogue-driven scenes in this trailer than other Bollywood trailers and it is clear this is a message movie.
What Others Are Reading Right Now.
Meet Amber Heard, Billion-Dollar Girlfriend
Girl picks herself some winners, wallet-wise.
What You Can Learn From Your Date’s Outfit—Including How Luc...
From the daddy’s girl to the free spirit to the trendsetter, we’ve got you covered.
10 Reasons Your Wife Is Unhappy in Your Marriage
Don't shoot the messenger. This is what science says.