Lending their voices to hundreds, sometimes thousands of Bollywood movies, the best Bollywood singers have stood the test of time, winning numerous awards for their beautiful voices, pleasing audiences time and time again. While not seen on screen, like their voices, it is crystal clear that the top Bollywood movies would not receive the level of success without the best Bollywood singers.
- Lata Mangeshkar. When Lata Mangeshkar turned 80 in 2009, she said she wanted to keep singing for the rest of her life. She is one of the most respected and definitely one of the best Bollywood singers. Recording since 1942, the singer has recorded songs for more than a thousand Bollywood movies, in addition to recording songs in 36 other regional areas, as well as foreign languages.
- Sonu Nigam. Recognized for the beauty of his voice, audiences never tire of praising the quality Sonu Nigam’s crooning skills. He won the Filmfare award for best male playback singer in 2002 for the song “Saathiya” from the movie “Saathiya” and has bagged a number of awards, including National Film awards, Star Screen, IIFA and Zee Cine awards.
- Sukhwinder Singh. Sukhwinder Singh has established his image over the years as one of the best singers in Bollywood. He is famously recognized for his all-time best song “Chaiya Chaiya” from the movie “Dil Se” that won him the 1998 Filmfare award for best male playback singer.
- Krishnakumar Kunnath. KK or Krishnakumar Kunnath is known for breathing life into his tracks. He is recognized as the soul-giver of the songs he has sung over the years. He won the Filmfare awards for best male playback singer in 1999, 2002, 2005 through 2007 and 2009. He has also bagged many awards including Zee Cine, Screen and IIFA awards.
- Kumar Sanu. Kumar Sanu won the Filmfare Playback singer award for best male singer for five consecutive years. In 2009, he received the Padma Shri, award, and has been singing in Bollywood for more than two decades. Sanu has been associated with big names such as Anu Malik, R.D. Burman, Anand-Milind and Nadeem-Shravan.
- Mohammed Rafi. Mohammed Rafi is considered one of the best Bollywood singers of all times and rightly so, as he has sung more than 26,000 songs. His singing career spans more than four decades, with as many as six Filmfare and five National awards.
- Asha Bhonsle. Asha Bhonsle's career as a singer has covered more than six decades, and she lent her voice for songs in more than 700 Bollywood movies, according to Outlook India. She has been honored with the Padma Vibhushan and Dadasaheb Phalke awards, along with seven Filmfare awards for best female playback singer.
- Mukesh. Mukesh is the ultimate best Bollywood singer because he made such an impact on the industry and is fondly referred to as the Hindi legend. Winner of the Filmfare Playback Male Singer Award at the Filmfare’s first function, he went on to win three other Filmfare awards, and in 1974 bagged the National Film award for best male playback singer.
- Kishore Kumar. Kishore Kumar is one of the most versatile figures in Bollywood and is considered by many to be the best Bollywood singer of all times. He was a playback singer, an actor, a director, composer, lyricist, producer, scriptwriter and screenwriter. With eight awards on his belt, he has the record for the most Filmfare awards for the best male playback singer.
- Manna Dev. Manna Dey is recognized as one of the best Bollywood singers during the 1950's to 1970's, when he, along with other singers such as Kishore Kumar, Mohammed Rafi and Mukesh, created such an incredible impact on Bollywood. He has been honored with the Dadasaheb Phalke award, the Padma Shri and Padma Bhushan.
What Others Are Reading Right Now.
6 Signs the Beard Is Just Not Working for You
You may need to grab a razor and ditch the facial fuzz.
10 Red Flags That Kill Your Chances With Women
Wondering why that first date didn’t lead to a second? Read on.
How to Turn (Almost) Every Lady’s Head
Top female stylists share their favorite men’s looks.