The ten best camping sites in Northern California are hard to name with so many awesome choices. It isn't hard to find a great spot to camp in such an idyllic place but there are some spots that are must sees.
- Sacramento and Western Sierra Foothills Campground is one of the best camping sites in Northern California. This spot is massive offering over 43 separate campgrounds, enabling the spontaneous camper to find a spot most any day of the year. Enjoy horseback riding, hiking, swimming, and fishing among other things.
- San Francisco Bay Area Campground offers a cool ocean breeze and plenty of space. There are over 23 spots to spend a night under the stars. During your stay, you can enjoy temperatures that stay cool year round, a boat launch, and access to the Pacific Ocean.
- Big Basin Redwoods State Park is a must for nature lovers. Campers get to spend their days relaxing under the giant redwoods that Northern California is a famous for and breathing in the cool mountain air.
- Twin Lakes Campground in Mammoth Lakes, California is believed to be one of the best camping sites in Northern California by many former guests. Though the campground is only opened part of the year (from June to November), it offers plenty of hiking and other activities. While visiting this mountain paradise, be sure to check out the awesome waterfalls.
- Yosemite National Parks Campground isn't just one of the best camping sites in Northern California, but one of the best in the world. Here, campers will find nearly one million acres of pristine wilderness and thirteen large, private camping areas. There is plenty to do with hiking, fishing, and horseback riding. In addition to this, campers get the pleasure of visiting one of the most beautiful natural wonders in the entire United States firsthand.
- Mendocino Area Campgrounds provides campers some of the most incredible coastal scenery around. Mendocino offers beach front sun bathing wrapped in a funky little town that has something for every taste. It is a great place to spend a romantic get away. Be sure to visit one of the many wineries that surround the park for a taste of California wine at its best.
- Silver Lake East Campground is a great place to bring the entire family. This mountainous spot is open part of the year, June to November, and offers some of the best family camping around. There are always a ton of kids and a ton to do. This is by far the best Northern California camping site for families.
- Gold Bluffs Beach Campground offers beach front camping along some of the most beautiful shoreline in the world. For campers whose vision of Northern California camping includes warm nights that are filled with sea mist, this is the spot to be.
- Tahoe National Forest Area Campground offers the deepest Alpine lake in North America. This mountainous odyssey is surrounded by snow capped mountains year round. Here, campers can enjoy a half a million acres of dreamy wildlife littered with streams and rivers for fishing and swimming. Hikers will never get bored with the hundreds of miles of trail offered here.
- Wrights Lake Campground is a perennial family favorite. Due to its popularity, it is important to reserve a spot ahead of time in this warm and cozy home away from home. This is one of the few campgrounds that offers the best possible spots to their tent campers. Pitch a tent right next to one of the most beautiful lakes in the US.
What Others Are Reading Right Now.
Acting, comedy and strong spirits converge in Speakeasy. When host Paul F. Tompkins interviews entertainers—Key and Peele, Alison Brie, Rob Delaney, Zach Galifianakis—about all sor …
21 Hairstyles Women Love
Female experts reveal the ’dos that drive them wild.
21 Fantastic Facts About Ronda Rousey
This trivia’s like her fights: quick and jarring.