We have compiled the 10 Best Camping Spots in Florida. Florida has numerous campgrounds with varying amenities and scenery.
- Fort De Soto Park, Pinellas County This full-service campground has 238 sites. The amenities offered include: picnic tables, grills, fresh water, electricity, washers, dryers, sanitary disposal stations, modern restrooms, showers, play areas and a camp store. There are over seven miles of waterfront, including some waterfront sites. Fort De Soto beach has been ranked one of the top ten beaches in the entire world, as well as the top beach in the country. There are two fishing piers, a canoe trail and a paved bike trail.
- Myakka River State Park, Sarasota This is one of Florida’s oldest and biggest state parks. There is a full-service campground, cabins and backcountry sites. You can take a tour on the lake on one of the world’s biggest airboats, walk in the treetops on the canopy walkway, fish, canoe, kayak, bike ride, or bird watch.
- Oscar Scherer State Park, Venice This is a nice full-service campground with canoeing, kayaking, and a nature center. The nature center is a great place to learn about the unique ecology of the area. There are fifteen miles of trails in this park for hiking, along with a lake and stream for fishing and swimming.
- Lake Kissimmee State Park, Lake Wales This is considered one of the best places in the state to stargaze. There is also a variety of wildlife, as white-tailed deer, bald eagles, sandhill cranes, turkeys, and bobcats have been seen in the park. There are thirteen miles worth of trails, six of which are open to horses. There are full-service as well as primitive campsites. There is also fishing, boating, canoeing and picnic areas available.
- Anastasia State Park, St. Augustine The beach and wetlands have been preserved and look much the way they did 500 years ago when the Spanish explorers first arrived. There is surfing, fishing, canoeing and kayaking as well as an archaeological site where coquina rock was mined to create the nearby Castillo de San Marcos National Monument, the oldest Spanish fortress in America.
- Tomoka State Park, Ormond Beach More than 160 species of birds have been identified in the state park. Red drum, sheepshead, spotted sea trout, snook and tarpon can all be caught in the river, where you can canoe, fish and go boating. There is a boat ramp in the park. There is also a half mile nature trail in the park and a camp store.
- Blue Spring State Park, Orange City This park has the largest spring in the St. Johns River. The spring is 73 degrees year-round and welcomes swimmers, snorkelers, scuba divers and West Indian manatees. Swimming is closed from November 15 through March 1, as this is when the manatee use the spring as refuge from the cold waters. However, fishing, boating and canoeing is still available during those months.
- Silver River State Park, Ocala This state park has a pioneer cracker village and the Silver River Museum and Environmental Education Center. It has more than ten distinct natural communities, dozens of springs, and miles of beautiful trails. Hiking, biking and canoeing is all available. There is a full facility campground and ten luxury cabins.
- Gold Head Branch State Park, Keystone Heights This is one of Florida’s oldest state parks and lies along three miles of the Florida Trail. There is plenty of hiking, swimming, canoeing, and fishing. The park is a home for white-tailed deer, turkey, gopher tortoise, fox squirrels, pocket gophers, red tailed hawk, bald eagles, fox, and various water and wading birds.
- Paynes Prairie Reserve Park, Micanopy This camping spot has hiking, bird-watching, fishing, picnicking and bicycling. There is also a 50-foot observation tower where you can see wildlife including alligators, bison and wild horses, plus eight trails for hiking, horseback riding and biking.
What Others Are Reading Right Now.
13 Things to Look Forward to in Your 30s
You’ve probably been told that your 20s will be the best years of your life. As someone in their 30s, I can tell you honestly that nothing could be further from the truth. Here are ...
Acting, comedy and strong spirits converge in Speakeasy. When host Paul F. Tompkins interviews entertainers—Key and Peele, Alison Brie, Rob Delaney, Zach Galifianakis—about all sor ...
14 Things to Look Forward to in Your 40s
The door is wide open to say and do anything you want. Such as the following...