Most likely, you see one of the 10 best Canadian actresses every time you watch television or go to the movies. The best Canadian actresses are talented women who have made a splash on large and small screens across the world. Keep an eye out for one these actresses on a screen near you.
- Ellen Page. Born in Novia Scotia in 1987, Canadian actress Ellen Page was catapulted to fame in 2007 with the film "Juno," where she played a pregnant teenager. She was nominated for an Oscar for her role and won a Canadian Comedy Award and an Independent Spirit Award for her role. She also earned praise for her role from critics such as Roger Ebert and A.O. Scott. Since then, Page has appeared in several other films, including 2010's "Inception" and in Drew Barrymore's roller derby film, "Whip It."
- Neve Campbell. In the 1990's, Campbell starred on the popular television show, "Party of Five." This popular Canadian actress also had a starring role in the "Scream" franchise and starred in several other movies since then. In 2011, she will appear in the fourth installment of "Scream." In addition to her performances in the teen-friendly "Scream" series, Campbell has appeared in several films loved by critics, such as Robert Altman's 2003 film "Company," where Campbell played a ballet dancer. The role allowed her to showcase her acting as well as dancing chops.
- Rachel McAdams. Sexy McAdams was a hit as Regina George, the ultimate meanie, in the popular film "Mean Girls." She went on to melt hearts in films such as "The Notebook" and "The Time Traveler's Wife." She and Ryan Gosling were awarded the MTV Movie Award for "Best KIss" in "The Notebook." McAdams was also nominated for two Saturn Awards, one for her role in the 2006 thriller "Red Eye" and one for her role as Irene Adler in 2009's "Sherlock Holmes."
- Evangeline Lilly. Canadian actress Evangeline Lilly played the tormented Kate Austen on the hit television show "Lost." She also starred in the Oscar-winning film "The Hurt Locker." She was nominated for a SAG award for both her role in the "Hurt Locker" in 2010 and on "Lost" in 2007. She was nominated for a Saturn Award for Best Actress for "Lost" in 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008 and 2009.
- Anna Paquin. Paquin, an actress from Winnipeg, got her start as a child actor in films such as "The Piano" and "Fly Away Home." In 1994, she became one of the youngest actors to ever when the Oscar for Best Supporting Actress for her role in "The Piano." After appearing in several films throughout her teenage years, Paquin returned to prominence as Rogue in the "X-men" franchise. In 2008, she began enthralling fans with the popular HBO show "True Blood," for which she won a Golden Globe award for Best Actress.
- Sarah Chalke. Actress Sarah Chalke gained fame as Dr. Elliot Reid, the perky somewhat neurotic blonde doctor on the sitcom "Scrubs." Since "Scrubs" ended its run, Chalke has had a small recurring in the popular sitcom "How I Met Your Mother."
- Carrie Ann Moss. Hailing from Vancouver, actress Carrie Ann Moss has had a long career. She's perhaps best known for her role as Trinity in the "Matrix" trilogy. Moss also appeared in the critically acclaimed films "Chocolat" and "Memento." She won an Independent Spirit Award in 2002 for her role in "Memento."
- Elisha Cuthbert. Beautiful Elisha Cuthbert first made a splash as "The Girl Next Door," for which she won an MTV movie award for "Best Kiss." She expanded her acting chops by playing Kim Bauer on the popluar television show "24."
- Kim Cattrall. After getting her start in the 1980's in films such as "Porky's" and "Mannequin," Cattrall turned plenty of heads playing the sex-crazed Samantha in the television series "Sex and the City." In 2003, she won the Golden Globe for Best Supporting Actress for her role as Samantha.
- Sandra Oh. Born outside of Ottawa, Sandra Oh may be best known for her role on the popular show "Grey's Atanomy." As Dr. Cristina Yang, Oh was nominated for several awards, including the 2006 SAG award for Best Supporting Actress and several Emmy's.
What Others Are Reading Right Now.
6 Signs She Wants You to Come Talk to Her at the Bar
These not-so-subtle hints mean legit interest—and time for action.
Do This Surprising Thing and Science Says Women Will Be All ...
No, it's not "buy a Ferrari."
10 Real-Life Heroes Who Inspired Indiana Jones
Legend has it, these guys are the real MVPs.