Want to know who the 10 best Canadian NBA players are? Heading into the 2010-2011 season, there were four players in the NBA who were either born in Canada or grew up in Canada. France has the most foreign players with 11 in the league. There have been a total of 19 players from Canada in the NBA over the history of the league. Here are the 10 best, based on their impact on the league, their teams, and personal accomplishments.
- Rick Fox, (1991-2003) has three championship rings with the Lakers. He started his career with the Celtics after being a first round pick out of North Carolina. Fox was born in Toronto, and moved to the Bahamas with has family when he was three.
- Steve Nash (1996 – present) was a first round pick out of Santa Clara. He is a sharp shooting guard who has played most of his career in Phoenix after starting in Dallas, and is a two-time allstar. He grew up in Victoria, British Columbia.
- Jamaal Magliore (2000-present) another first round pick, this one from Kentucky, has had a solid career and played for several teams. He was born and raised in Toronto.
- Bill Wennnigton (1985-2000) played at St. Johns and had a solid career. He was on three championship teams while playing with the Chicago Bulls. He was born and raised in Montreal, and played on two Canadian Olympic teams.
- Bob Houbregs (1953-1958) was a first round draft choice out of Washington State and played for four teams, and later served as general manager of the Seattle Supersonics. He was elected to the NBA Hall of Fame in 2000. He was born and raised in Vancouver, British Columbia.
- Ernie Vandeweghe (1949-1956) played for the New York Knicks. Solid career and perhaps best known for being the father of NBA star and coach Kiki Vandeweghe. He was born and grew up in Montreal.
- Mike Smrek (1985-1992) Played mostly a backup role as a center, but has a championship ring from his time with the Lakers. He played with six teams over eight seasons. He grew up in Port Robinson, Ontario.
- Samuel Dalembert (2001- present) Born in Haiti and grew up in Canada. He has played for Philadelphia and most recently for Sacramento where he is one of the top shot blockers in the league. He was born in Haiti, and moved to Montreal when 14, and grew up there.
- Joel Anthony (2007 – present) Solid role player for the Miami Heat. Anthony was born and raised in Montreal, where he attended high school and started college.
- Todd MacCulloch (1999 – 2003) played four seasons with Philadelphia and New Jersey Nets. Averaging 10 points per game when his career was cut short by health problems. He was born and raised in Winnipeg, Manitoba.
What Others Are Reading Right Now.
Acting, comedy and strong spirits converge in Speakeasy. When host Paul F. Tompkins interviews entertainers—Key and Peele, Alison Brie, Rob Delaney, Zach Galifianakis—about all sor …
Made Man Food Shows
We all love great food—and the people who make it! Our culinary video series introduces you to the country's best chefs and experts, so you can become one yourself. Pull up a chair …
21 Fantastic Facts About Ronda Rousey
This trivia’s like her fights: quick and jarring.