These 10 best chick flicks are the greatest in what many consider to be a horrible genre. Yes, chick flicks have a bad reputation for being crummy movies, but who hasn’t seen—and enjoyed—at least a few?
- “Pretty Woman” Perhaps the ultimate “hooker with a heart of gold” story. Even the most cynical of us smiles when Julia gets a shopping montage after being snubbed by those stuck-up salesgirls.
- “Dirty Dancing” With a leading man named Johnny Castle, a group dance finale, and lines like, “Nobody puts Baby in a corner,” this is one of the greatest chick flicks in history.
- “A League of Their Own” The only one of the 10 best chick flicks based on historical events, “A League of Their Own” is a story about sisters, friends and groundbreaking female athletes.
- “Fried Green Tomatoes” “Fried Green Tomatoes” features some of the most talented actresses around, including Kathy Bates, Mary Stuart Masterson, Mary-Louise Parker and the late Jessica Tandy.
- “Bridget Jones’s Diary” Originally based on a book, this film became an almost instant chick flick favorite. Renee Zellweger was actually nominated for an Academy Award for her portrayal of the title character.
- “Steel Magnolias” This is the first—but not last—tearjerker on the list of 10 best chick flicks. Centered on a group of female friends, the cast includes Sally Field, Dolly Parton, Shirley MacLaine, Olympia Dukakis, Daryl Hannah and Julia Roberts, who received her first Oscar nomination for the film.
- “Love Actually” This British “rom-com” follows a large ensemble cast over the course of the holiday season and their various love stories.
- “Beaches” Even the thought of this movie can make some women cry. Telling the story of two best friends from the time they meet as children until one’s death, this is one of the ultimate chick flicks.
- “Nine to Five” In the oldest movie on this list, Jane Fonda, Lily Tomlin and Dolly Parton play three co-workers who get revenge on a lecherous, horrible boss. Hilarity ensues.
- “Legally Blonde” Even some men have to admit that this chick flick is surprisingly good. It was so popular that it even spawned a Broadway musical!
What Others Are Reading Right Now.
Acting, comedy and strong spirits converge in Speakeasy. When host Paul F. Tompkins interviews entertainers—Key and Peele, Alison Brie, Rob Delaney, Zach Galifianakis—about all sor …
10 Things Women Expect Men to Know How To Do
To make ladies swoon or at least not cringe, you’d better be able to handle the following…
25 Rules of Style Every Man Should Follow
Wear by them.