Our ten best Christian country songs belong to a genre known as inspirational country music. Most are covers of contemporary Christian singles, or Christian singles that became crossover hits with country music fans. Many mainstream country stars have recorded Christian songs. Our list contains the most popular faith-inspired songs, by some of the most well-known country artists today.
- “Jesus, Take The Wheel.” “Jesus Take The Wheel” is a hit single from Carrie Underwood’s 2005 debut album. The “American Idol” winner sings a ballad about a woman seeking help from Jesus and letting him take control of her life. “Jesus, take the wheel / take it from my hands / ‘cause I can’t do this on my own.”
- “Who You’d Be Today.” “Who You’d Be Today” is a Kenny Chesney song from his 2005 album, “The Road and the Radio.” Chesney sings to someone who died too young. “It ain’t fair, you died too young / Like a story that had just begun / But death tore the pages all away.” The story ends with a Christian hope, to see his friend again.
- “God’s Will.” “I met God’s Will on Halloween night / he was dressed as a bag of leaves.” Country music singer Martina McBride recorded “God’s Will” for her 2003 self-titled album. Her song about a special boy will touch your heart, "at dinner, he’d ask to pray / then he’d pray for everyone in the world but him.”
- “Believe.” “Believe” is a Christian country song by Brooks and Dunn, for their 2005 album, “Hillbilly Deluxe." The song is about an old man's faith in God. “I raise my hands, bow my head / I’m finding more and more truth / In the words written in red."
- “Go Tell It On The Mountain.” Country singer Sara Evans recorded the African-American spiritual, “Go Tell It On The Mountain,” for her 2009 Christmas album. The beloved song celebrates the nativity: “Go tell it on the mountain, over the hills and everywhere / Go tell it on the mountain, that Jesus Christ is born.”
- “When I Get Where I’m Going.” “When I Get Where I’m Going” is a duet by Dolly Parton and Brad Paisley for his 2005 album, “Time Well Wasted.” The country song became a crossover hit. “When I get where I’m going, and I see my Maker’s face / I’ll stand forever in the light of his amazing grace.”
- “This Is God.” “This is God” is a Phil Vassar single from his 2002 album, “American Child.” Commenting on God’s disappointment with men, Vassar sings, “Yeah, this is God / I've given everything to you / But look at what you do to the world that I created.”
- “What If Jesus Came Back Like That.” Collin Raye recorded “What If Jesus Came Back Like That” for his 1995 album, “I Think of You.” Like Vassar’s song, Raye wonders what God is thinking about how men are living: “What if Jesus comes back like that / Will he cry when he sees where our hearts are at/ Will he let us in or turn his back?”
- “Three Wooden Crosses.” “Three Wooden Crosses” is popular song from the 2002 Randy Travis album, “Rise and Shine." The song describes a fatal bus crash and four passengers, “a farmer and a teacher, a hooker and a preacher.” At the end of his life, the preacher gives the prostitute his Bible. The song ends by revealing the prostitute’s story, she read the Bible to her son, who eventually became a preacher.
- “I Can Only Imagine.” Wynona Judd recorded “I Can Only Imagine” for her 2005 album, “Her Story: Scenes From a Lifetime.” The MercyMe song imagines a person's reaction when he finally sees Jesus. “Surrounded by Your glory, what will my heart feel? / Will I dance for You, Jesus, or in awe of You be still?"
What Others Are Reading Right Now.
Acting, comedy and strong spirits converge in Speakeasy. When host Paul F. Tompkins interviews entertainers—Key and Peele, Alison Brie, Rob Delaney, Zach Galifianakis—about all sor …
Emma Watson and Other Child Stars Who Grew Up To Be Hot
Throughout the Harry Potter film series, we've seen Emma Watson transform from a lovable child star into a burgeoning sex symbol. She's not the first actress to do so, and she cert …
10 Things Women Expect Men to Know How to Do
To make ladies swoon or at least not cringe, master these skills. (Yes, several are car-related.)