The music of these 10 best Christian rock bands display the characteristics so loved by rock and roll fans. They can be just as loud as any good rock band should be. The difference being, of course, the message contained in the music. Christian rock bands have been on the scene for a while with their lyrical focus on delivering the religious beliefs of Christianity.
But, the sheer number of Christian rock bands have exploded in the last two decades. Some of the best Christian rock bands run the gamut from light rock, punk rock and even hard metal rock. This list contains 10 of the best Christian rock bands with widespread appeal.
- Audio Adrenaline has sold millions of records and have attained eighteen #1 hits. After touring for more than fifteen years, this dynamic Christian rock band retired because the lead singer had vocal difficulties.
- Barlowgirl is an all-girl Christian rock band. The band is comprised of three sisters from Illinois: Alyssa, Becca and Lauren Barlow. Their first record was released in 2004.
- Casting Crowns is a contemporary Christian rock band that was started in 1999 by a youth pastor in Florida. They have won five Dove awards and also won a Grammy award in 2005.
- Jars of Clay was formed in the early 1990's in Nashville, Tennessee. Their first album, self-titled "Jars of Clay," was released in 1995.
- Kutless is a contemporary Christian rock band from Portland, Oregon that formed in year 2000. They’ve since produced seven albums including one live album. They made their debut in 2003 as a opening act for the band Audio Adrenaline and MercyMe.
- MercyMe is an award winning pop rock band who have experienced success beyond their wildest dreams. They’ve always been a rock band at heart, but some of their most popular hit songs have been ballads, such as the chart topping "I Can Only Imagine." The first independent record this Christian rock band produced was in 1997 and first studio album was released in 2001.
- Newsboys is a Christian pop rock band from Australia. They have produced fourteen albums since 1988 and are one of the most popular and best Christian rock bands. The original name for the band was The News, but changed the band name so as not to conflict with the popular American band, Huey Lewis and the News.
- Petra is often called the pioneer of Christian rock. They formed in 1972 and have produced twenty studio albums and two live performance albums. This best of the best Christian rock band won thirteen Grammy awards and ten Dove awards during their long spanning career. After more than 33 years, Petra retired and gave a farewell tour in 2005. This multiple award winning band is the only Christian rock band to have their memorabilia featured in the Hard Rock Cafe.
- Skillet is a hard rocking Christian band that hails from Memphis, Tennessee. The original two members of the band, John Cooper and Ken Steorts, were in two different rock bands. At the urging of their pastor, they started a Christian rock band on the side as an experiment. They jokingly called their Christian experimental band by this name because they likened it to tossing food in a skillet to see how it turns out. The name obviously stuck and they’re still one of the best hard rock Christian bands.
- Third Day is another multi award winning band that formed in the 1990's in Georgia. They’ve won four Grammy awards, multiple Gospel music awards and an American music award.
What Others Are Reading Right Now.
10 Kung Fu Movies Every Man Should See
From the absolute classics to the so-bad-they're-amazing.
How to Turn (Almost) Every Lady’s Head
Top female stylists share their favorite men’s looks.
Acting, comedy and strong spirits converge in Speakeasy. When host Russell Peters interviews entertainers about all sorts of topics, neither the drinks nor the conversation is wate …