The top 10 best Christian songs of all time are synonymous with gospel music. Whether you listen to Christian contemporary music, inspirational or good ol’ fashion southern gospel tunes you will recognize these songs as the best of the best in the genre of Christian music. Some songs spearheaded careers, others crossed-over into secular music or even bi-lingual, these songs all contain the same message, God is an awesome God.
- “El Shaddai” – Amy Grant. This is Amy’s contemporary Christian signature song that jump started her career into super stardom. The album that contained this #1 hit Christian single was the first Christian album to sell a million units by a solo artist. “El Shaddai” is Hebrew translated as “God Almighty.”
- “Friends” – Michael W. Smith. This song was named by CCM Magazine as the #1 Christian song of all time. Not only is this a 10 best Christian song of all time but it’s a great graduation song as the lyrics state: “Friends are friends forever.”
- “Via Dolorosa” – Sandi Patti. The uniqueness of this song is that the verse and chorus are first sung in English then in Spanish. Translated means, “Way of suffering.”
- “Friend of a Wounded Heart” – Wayne Watson. This #1 hit single is not only a ten best Christian songs of all time but a classic in gospel music. Lyrics say is all: “All the love you’re long for is Jesus—friend of a wounded heart.”
- “His Eyes” – Steven Curtis Chapman. This song not only won Chapman a Dove award for best song but also for best songwriter. Beautiful melody and a top ten best Christian song of all time. Lyrics: “No matter where you go, you will always be in His eyes.”
- “Place in this World” – Michael W. Smith. This cross-over song hit #5 on Pop charts. Co-written with Amy Grant this memorable top ten best Christian song of all time pleas to understand the purpose in life through the lyrics: “Not a lot to lean on, I need your Light to help me find my place in this world, my place in this world.”
- “Warrior is a Child” – Twila Paris. This was Twila’s first #1 Christian single out of 33 number one hits that would span over the course of her career. If you listen to gospel music then you will know the chorus to this top ten best Christian song of all time: “I drop my sword and cry for just a while, ‘cause deep inside this armor, the warrior is a child.”
- “Awesome God” – Rich Mullins. This song has become a modern day hymn for churches all over the world. Lyrics: “He reigns from Heaven above, with wisdom, power and love, our God is an Awesome God.”
- “Lead Me On” – Amy Grant. This particular top ten best Christian song of all time deals with the serious subject, the Holocaust. Lyrics: “Waiting for the train, labeled with a golden star.” Still the message was of hope to “Lead On” to a better place.
- “Thy Word” – Amy Grant. Co-written by Michael W. Smith, this song was composed entirely on a Psalm 119 straight from the bible. Can’t get better than that for a top best Christian song of all time. Lyrics as “They word is a lamp unto my feet and a light unto my path.”
There were many Christian songs that didn’t make this list, but these top ten Christian song are well known to anyone who listens to Christian radio.
What Others Are Reading Right Now.
Meet Amber Heard, Billion-Dollar Girlfriend
Girl picks herself some winners, wallet-wise.
What You Can Learn From Your Date’s Outfit—Including How Luc...
From the daddy’s girl to the free spirit to the trendsetter, we’ve got you covered.
10 Reasons Your Wife Is Unhappy in Your Marriage
Don't shoot the messenger. This is what science says.