If you enjoy classic country music, then you're sure to want to know who made the 10 best classic country songs. Spanning generations and surviving numerous remakes and covers, these songs are the backbone of country music as we know it. Whether you're a fan of modern country or you like the old-fashioned stuff from way back in the day, be sure to give these classics a listen. This list contains some of the best country songs ever produced.
- "King of the Road" by Roger Miller. Often referred to as "that famous hobo song," this classic country song is one of the best to have successfully crossed over to the pop charts as well. Just about everyone knows (and loves to sing along with) this one.
- "Your Cheatin' Heart" by Hank Williams Sr. One of three number-one hits by the late Hank Williams Sr., "Your Cheatin' Heart" was actually penned and recorded during the last year that Hank was alive, but wasn't released until after his tragic death. He was 29.
- "Elvira" by the Oak Ridge Boys. Written by a country singer named Dallas Frazier, many people don't realize that one of the best classic country songs of all time was originally recorded by Kenny Rogers and the First Edition. It was the Oak Ridge Boys who made it famous, though.
- "Crazy" by Patsy Cline. Considered to be one of the greatest country songs and one of the most beautiful songs of all time, "Crazy" was originally composed by popular country music artist Willie Nelson.
- "Mamas Don't Let Your Babies Grow Up to Be Cowboys" by Waylon Jennings and Willie Nelson. First recorded by Ed Bruce, this song was later released in 1978, when Waylon Jennings and Willie Nelson teamed up for a duets album. This classic country tune tells mothers to encourage their children to be doctors and lawyers, because cowboys are always alone.
- "Stand By Your Man" by Tammy Wynette. One of Tammy's most famous hits, this is one of the most successful classic country songs by a female vocalist. Singing about the importance of overlooking a man's shortcomings and supporting him, it's one of the most popular classic country hits of all time.
- "Oh Lonesome Me" by Don Gibson. One of the best country songs to dance to, "Oh Lonesome Me" is a great country swing hit that really makes you want to move. Grab your favorite girl before you request this one!
- "I Walk the Line" by Johnny Cash. Before there was a movie by this name, there was a talented singer who performed one of the best country songs ever written. "I Walk the Line" was Cash's fourth chart single, but would prove to be his most famous song of all time.
- "Coal Miner's Daughter" by Loretta Lynn. One of the best classic country songs of all time is certainly the autobiographical tune "Coal Miner's Daughter," written and performed by Loretta Lynn. Telling the touching tale of how her parents raised eight children on a coal miner's pay, it's a peek back into the past and the roots of country music.
- "Sixteen Tons" by Tennessee Ernie Ford. The chorus of this famous classic country song was actually penned by the brother of hit-maker Merle Travis. The line about owing one's soul to the company store referred to the stores that were owned by the coal companies. When miners bought food or tools, it was taken as an advance on pay, eating away at the miner's income until there was nothing left and they had no option but to continue to try to work off the debt.
What Others Are Reading Right Now.
6 Things You Think Your Girlfriend Cares About But She Doesn...
Guys, it may be time to refocus your efforts.
Pro Wrestling Tales That Will Make You Feel Like Fighting
Don't get too riled up.
Warning! 7 Lies All Women Tell Men
Prep for these fibs. Ladies will thank you, and that’s the truth.