The 10 best classic female singers defines various sounds from multiple genres as they swing, shuffle, move, sway, touch, rock, groove and soothe a listening ear. These female singing artists are not the kind tucked away like a 45 in a parent's attic, but remain on the top classic music lists across the globe.
From juke boxes, radio stations to covers by other bands, these ten best classic female singers are known as the greatest favorable slices America has to serve when it comes to the history of music.
- Billie Holiday, American jazz singer-songwriter otherwise known as Lady Day, introduced the song "Strange Fruit" which boosted her into the spotlight during the 1930's. "Good Morning Heartache" and "Don't Explain" were from Holiday's 1940's hits. Including a couple Bessie Smith covers like "Ain't Nobody's Business" If I Do and "You're My Thrill". Holiday delivered jazz mixed in blues with a sultry vocals and a slight shimmy and shake.
- Ella Fitzgerald, American jazz song vocalist otherwise known as Lady Ella, was best heard in 1930's scat. Fitzgerald also came out with "(If You Can't Sing It) You'll Have To Swing It", "A-Tisket A-Tasket", and "Oh, Lady Be Good".
- Patsy Cline, American country singer otherwise known as Ginny, needs no introduction in the country circuit. Patsy Cline songs such as "Crazy", "Sweet Dreams", and "Walkin' After Midnight" is favored in cover songs, by other bands. Other classic Cline songs include "She's Got You", "So Wrong", and "Imagine That".
- Loretta Lynn, American Country singer-songwriter and author otherwise known as The Coal Miner's Daughter, taught herself how to play a guitar. From that moment she went from alone with strings to better things – on the road. This classic female singer's songs include "Dear Uncle Sam", "What Kind of a Girl (Do You Think I Am)", "Coal Miner's Daughter", and "You're Lookin' At Country".
- Aretha Franklin, American singer-songwriter and pianist otherwise known as The Queen of Soul, belted out a golden versatile vocal range and flavor that was well noted during the 1960's by blues, R&B, soul, jazz and gospel fans. Aretha Franklin's famous songs include "Chain of Fools", "Respect", "(You Make Me Feel Like) A Natural Woman", and "Think". We think she's one of the best classic female singers!
- Barbra Streisand, American singer-songwriter, actress and director, delivered the main event after a star was born. Hit songs include tracks from the movies such as The Main Event and A Star is Born. "Evergreen", "The Way We Were", "I Finally Found Someone", and "If You Ever Leave Me", a classic with country star Vince Gill, are amongst favorite Streisand songs to this day.
- Joan Baez, American singer-songwriter and activist otherwise known as the Queen of Folk, introduced a peaceful side, by song alone. Baez's songs include "We Shall Overcome", "Love is Just a Four Letter Word", and "Fountain of Sorrow".
- Stevie Nicks, American singer-songwriter best known for being in the soft rock band Fleetwood Mac, whipped up a huge following during the 1970's for her vocals and act alone. Stevie Nicks gave each stage presence a taste of style and fashion with a subtle sexy twist. Post Fleetwood Mac, Nicks went solo. Her career includes songs such as "Landslide", "Stop Draggin' My Heart Around", and "Crystal".
- Deborah Harry, American singer-songwriter and actress otherwise known to many as Blondie (group name), portrayed similar to a female version of David Bowie mixed in with Andy Warhol on stages across America during the 1970's into the 1980's. Harry's hits such as "Dreaming", "Rapture", "The Tide is High", and the classic "Heart of Glass", never loses luster as they are popular on a variety of radio stations across the globe.
- Pat Benatar, American singer, is known to rock socks off! Pat Benatar's powerful vocals ruled the 1980's stages with a spit of hard rock style that shook the music world from the classic china doll image of female singers towards the diamond in the rough appeal. In time Benatar introduced a softer side to vocals and appearance. Pat Benatar's songs include "Heartbreaker", "Hit Me With Your Best Shot", "We Belong", and "Shadows of the Night".
What Others Are Reading Right Now.
Acting, comedy and strong spirits converge in Speakeasy. When host Russell Peters interviews entertainers about all sorts of topics, neither the drinks nor the conversation is wate …
6 Things You Think Your Girlfriend Cares About But She Doesn...
Guys, it may be time to refocus your efforts.
10 Red Flags That Kill Your Chances With Women
Wondering why that first date didn’t lead to a second? Read on.