Whether you are thinking of sending your kid to a college that will help him make it to the Big Leagues, or simply want to know the best of the best, here is a list of the top baseball coaches of our era. All of these men are still coaching, and have had players drafted. Keep in mind, that this isn’t all of the best coaches, only 10 of them.
10 Best College Baseball Coaches
- Paul Mainieri – LSU – Mainieri has made LSU World Series Champions and a team to contend with. Personally Mainieri has been declared 2009 National Coach of the Year, 2009 Southeastern Conference Coach of the Year and 2008 National Coach of the Year.
- Mike Gillespie – UC Irvine – This Hall of Fame honoree took his previous USC team to victory and intended to do the same with UC Irvine. He is ranked in the top 25 in victories among active coaches at the Division 1 Level.
- Chad Kreuter – USC – This former major leagues catcher took on the coaching position at USC after his father-in-law; the former Mike Gillespie, moved on. Kreuter took the position after starting the 2006 season as the manager for the Modesto Nuts, the single A affiliate of the Colorado Rockies.
- Tim Esmay – ASU – Esmay was with the Arizona Sun Devils for years as an assistant coach before he became their head coach. He knows the team better than anyone and he is no stranger to the World Series.
- Jim Morris – Miami – Over the last 16 plus years, Jim Morris has turned Miami into one of the most consistent and persevering college teams in baseball history. A three-time national coach of the year and 2008 Atlantic Coast Conference Coach of the Year, Morris has directed the Hurricanes to a 733-278-3 (.724) mark since arriving in 1994.
- Mark Marquess – Stanford – This Hall of Fame honoree has been with his alma mater for 34 years and knows the team inside and out. A three-time NCAA Coach of the Year recipient and nine-time Pac-10 Coach of theYear honoree, he has guided Stanford to 25 NCAA tournaments.
- Dave Serrano – CSF – This Cal State Fullerton coach has been to the World Series 7 times in 15 years as a Division 1 coach and leads one of the finest baseball leagues in the country. Serrano has averaged more than 40 wins a season in his five-year Division 1 career.
- Frank Anderson – OKState – Anderson has taken Oklahoma State to the regional’s numerous times and has turned the team into one to be reckoned with. Under Anderson's direction, the Cowboys captured the 2004 Big 12 Tournament crown for the first time ever.
- Mike Martin – FSU – Mike Martin has been inducted into the Hall of Fame, won over 1500 games, and been coaching FSU for over 37 years, you can’t do much better than that. Not to mention, he has led the Seminoles to 13 College World Series.
- Pete Wilk – GU – This Hoya’s coach uses his contacts to provide unparalleled opportunities for his players to network with the Big Leagues and make a name for themselves as men. So it’s no wonder that he has had seven players signed over on professional contracts.
Another College Baseball Coach you Should Know
Augie Garrido – This coach is getting a (dis)honorable mention on the list. As far as baseball is concerned, Augie has led one of the best college baseball teams to a few victories. However, this Texas Longhorns coach was caught with a DWI and has fallen from his perch as a role model and the list of best college baseball coaches.
What Others Are Reading Right Now.
How to Turn (Almost) Every Lady’s Head
Top female stylists share their favorite men’s looks.
6 Things You Think Your Girlfriend Cares About But She Doesn...
Guys, it may be time to refocus your efforts.
Acting, comedy and strong spirits converge in Speakeasy. When host Russell Peters interviews entertainers about all sorts of topics, neither the drinks nor the conversation is wate …