College baseball is one of the most competitive sports out there, and this is very evident by how quickly the 10 best college baseball teams can fluctuate. With the school year winding down now, however, it'll be easier to take a look at how the top ten teams in the nation currently rank- especially during this highly competitive season!
- Virginia. Virginia has amassed an impressive 43-9 record and is riding high on it's first ever sweep of North Carolina where it's great pitching helped hol them to only six runs in three games. This has extended their winning streak to fourteen and solidified them as the best college baseball team in America- for now.
- Texas. Texas was number one for a while, and continues to impress with their potent scoring and offensive capability while averaging nearly twelve hits a game.
- Arizona State. Perennial top ten power Arizona State continues to ride high on the arm of their undefeated junior pitcher Seth Blair, who by now has improved to 9-0.
- Florida. The Gators have been taking advantage of a well balanced offensive and defensive lineup on their way to a 20-7 record within the SEC. More impressive is that they have been doing this with two freshman pitchers in their rotation- not something that normally lends itself to a team being one of the top ten best in college baseball.
- Coastal Carolina. While not a school people would normally think of when they are talking about college dynastic powerhouses, the Coastal Carolina college baseball team is on fire this season. In fact, they currently have the best record in college baseball. They are only held back due to the relative outclassing of the rest of their Big South conference in comparison to the more competitive divisions.
- South Carolina. The Gamecocks, fresh off an important sweep against Arkansas, are keeping pace with the Florida Gators in their bid to win the SEC. Both teams match up very well and are setting themselves up for an epic matchup in the month of May. The Gamecocks have also hit the 40 win plateau for the eleventh straight season—no wonder they are among the best college baseball teams.
- Florida State. An odd team this season, Florida State suffers from huge pitching woes. Their weakness is obvious, and it is the mount. Still, they find ways to continually win games and it seems they have the baseball gods on their side. If the pitching shows up when it is most important it will make things much easier.
- Texas Christian. Also riding on the arm of a freshman pitcher, Texas Christian's leftie Matt Purke is among the elite pitchers in college baseball with a 10-0 record. The monkey on their back, so to speak, is 2-5 record against teams ranked in the top 25 best of college baseball.
- Cal State Fullerton. Impressive every year, Cal State Fullerton is making their nineteenth straight trip to regionals- the third longest active streak in the sport. They also sit at the top of Big West with a near flawless 18-3 record.
- UCLA. The Bruins have found themselves back in sole posession of second place in the PAC-10 and are poised to make a run thanks to a very potent offense.
Brad Pitt and friends made millions at the box office this weekend. And while there is much to admire about the Michael ...
Clearly, MLB needs changes to catch up to the modern man. We’ve got a few ideas. And yes, one of them involves swimsuit ...
By: Gary Wise Baseball offers know-it-alls like me some nice structure for best-player arguments with its end-of-year ...