Field hockey is not a sport that captures the headlines, but requires dedication, hard work and athleticism all the same as this list of the 10 best college field hockey teams illustrates. The feats of these teams are remarkable in their own right, but even more so when you consider the game is played by more than 250 colleges around the United States. Field hockey is also one of the oldest team sports, dating back to the fourteenth century.
- Old Dominion University, 1991 (26-0, Division I) In connection with the most dominating run in Division I field hockey history, the Lady Monarchs beat North Carolina 2-0 in the championship game to end the season undefeated. ODU also took the title in 1990 and 1992, winning 84 out of 87 games in the process.
- University of North Carolina, 2007 (24-0, Division I) The Lady Tar Heels became the fifth unbeaten Division I field hockey team with by beating Penn State 3-0 in the championship game. Their season included a school record sixteen shutouts.
- University of North Carolina, 1995 (24-0, Division I) The Tar Heels capped off their first unbeaten field hockey season by beating ACC rival Maryland 5-1 in the championship game. This was North Carolina’s first title since 1989 but also part of a run of 13 straight trips to the NCAA tournament.
- Wake Forest University, 2003 (23-1, Division I) The Demon Deacons topped ACC rival Duke in the title game 3-1 for its first field hockey Division I title, completing the year with just one loss but thirteen shutouts. This was the second of three straight Wake Forest field hockey titles, making it one of the best field hockey teams ever.
- University of Massachusetts-Lowell, 2010 (24-0, Division II) UMass-Lowell captured 23 straight wins before closing out No. 2 Shippensburg in the title game 1-0. The River Hawks outscored opponents 119-8 and outshot them 610-159.
- Maryland University, 2006 (23-1, Division I) As part of a run of four titles in six years, the Maryland Terrapins won the NCAA championship 1-0 over ACC rival Wake Forest. Maryland outscored opponents 82-18 and outshot them 433-145.
- Bloomsburg University, 2002 (21-0, Division II) In the course of securing its Tenth Division II national title, the Bloomsburg Huskies finished an unblemished season by beating Bentley College 5-0 in the title game. Bloomsburg’s season included fourteen shutouts.
- Bloomsburg University, 2006, (24-0, Division II) Again beating Bentley in the championship game, this time by 1-0, the Huskies went unbeaten to take their fifth consecutive NCAA Division II crown. Bloomsburg was unscored upon in the playoffs, making it one of the best field hockey teams ever.
- Salisbury University, 2004 (22-0, Division II) As part of its unprecedented dominance—thirteen championships in fourteen years—the Seagulls went unbeaten, including a 6-3 win over Middlebury in the NCAA field hockey Division III championship. Salisbury’s season included twelve shutouts.
- Bowdoin University, 2007 (20-0, Division III) The Bowdoin Polar Bears took their first-ever NCAA championship and completed an unbeaten season with a 4-3 win over Middlebury in the Division III championship game. By finishing the year outscoring opponents 76-6, Bowdoin makes this list of the best college field hockey teams ever.
What Others Are Reading Right Now.
Acting, comedy and strong spirits converge in Speakeasy. When host Paul F. Tompkins interviews entertainers—Key and Peele, Alison Brie, Rob Delaney, Zach Galifianakis—about all sor ...
Emma Watson and Other Child Stars Who Grew Up To Be Hot
Throughout the Harry Potter film series, we've seen Emma Watson transform from a lovable child star into a burgeoning sex symbol. She's not the first actress to do so, and she cert ...
Dove Men Shave Cream