Quoting words by someone else is a good way to deal with life, and the 10 best coming of age quotes in movies are an easy way to find a suitable quote. Some of the best quotes come from classic coming of age films, while others are more obscure films but are excellent quotes.
- Standing Up for Yourself: "I just want to let them know they didn't break me." That's the sentiment of Molly Ringwald's character in "Pretty in Pink," who took this philosophy as a life creed. The late, great John Hughes knew how to tap into teen angst to put this quote on the list of the best coming of age quotes in movies.
- Belonging. "If you give off signals that you don't want to belong, people will make sure that you don't." The school principal in "Pretty in Pink" asks this question. Molly Ringwald is not a joiner and the coming of age quote here asks her to face her demons and figure out just who is to blame for her outcast status.
- Take Time to Smell the Roses. "Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it." Ferris Bueller is a kid wise beyond his high school years. He takes his girlfriend and his best friend on a wild ride that includes stealing his friend's father's car and cutting school. The travel is enlightening and the advice from Bueller is one of the ten best coming of age quotes in movies.
- Life Mandates. "Sooner or later, everyone goes to the zoo." Sloane Peterson, played by Mia Sara, in "Ferris Bueller's Day Off", makes this coming of age statement. After the wild ride with Bueller on his day off from school, the zoo is more than a hypothetical expression.
- The Art of Coolness. "The only true currency in this bankrupt world is what you share with someone else when you're uncool." Lester Bangs in "Almost Famous" makes this profound statement that puts coming of age in a a nutshell for the young writer for "Rolling Stone," as well as a score of young people in the same generation.
- Insults. "Does the word 'retarded' mean anything to you?" Gordie in the 1986 film "Stand by Me" has a host of coming of age quotes. The entire movie deals with the trials of young folks attempting to deal with the dangers and pressures of real life. While modern day pre-teens and teens know that "retarded" is not an appropriate term for anyone, the feeling of acting like an outsider expressed in this quote is universal.
- Importance of Protectors. "Kids lose everything unless there's someone there to look out for them," the character Chris notes in the film "Stand by Me," a film about life's lessons for kids without someone.
- Enjoying Life. "My father was very sure about certain matters pertaining to the universe. To him, all good things—trout as well as eternal salvation—came by grace; and grace comes by art; and art does not come easy." The narrator Older Norman in "A River Runs Through It," begins the film with this quote that sets the tone for the coming of age questions that are yet to come during the movie.
- Briefness of Life. "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it … every, every minute? No. Saints and poets, may–they do some." Young Emily and the Stage Manager in "Our Town" have a discussion that evaluates the role that people give to life. Emily is a recent high school grad that dies suddenly with a new husband and baby. This tragedy allows the audience to ponder this coming of age question.
- The Sky's the Limit. "That word big is so small," Becky tells Gilbert in "What's Eating Gilbert Grape?" This 1993 film starring Johnny Depp and Juliette Lewis handles a rough coming of age of a boy with the weight of the world on his shoulders. He's responsible for this mother and brother, as well as the normal trials of teen life. Becky puts the film's message into a brief statement.
What Others Are Reading Right Now.
How to Turn (Almost) Every Lady’s Head
Top female stylists share their favorite men’s looks.
Acting, comedy and strong spirits converge in Speakeasy. When host Russell Peters interviews entertainers about all sorts of topics, neither the drinks nor the conversation is wate …
13 Pro Wrestling Tales Too Crazy to be True—But They Are!
Because the gnarliest stuff happens when the cameras are off.