The 10 best concert venues in America range greatly in size, but each one has its own particular charm or history. It's almost impossible to have a bad experience in one of the best concert venues in America, and the venue itself is never to blame. From majestic theaters to dingy basement clubs, here are the 10 best concert venues in America.
- The Middle East Downstairs in Boston – The epicenter for underground music in Boston, great sound and sight lines, and an amazingly authentic feel give the Middle East a place on the list of the 10 best concert venues in America. 472 Mass. Ave. Cambridge, MA 02139
- The Fabulous Fox in St. Louis – The Fox Theater in St. Louis' Grand Center district was known as one of the Grateful Dead's favorite venues, and hosts artists ranging from Leonard Cohen to the White Stripes in a majestic, seated setting. Not many great music venues double as the home for touring Broadway musicals, but the immaculate acoustics and regal feel lend the Fabulous Fox the ability to make almost anything look and sound good. 527 N. Grand Ave. St. Louis, MO 63103
- Spaceland in Los Angeles – This Silver Lake venue is the home for bands on the way up, offering free shows on Mondays where local bands in residency hone their craft, as well as established acts every other day of the week. 1717 Silver Lake Boulevard. Los Angeles, CA 90026
- The Troubadour in Los Angeles – The venue is deceptively small for its big place in rock history. That history alone would make it one of the 10 best concert venues in America, home to rock and roll breakthroughs of the seventies. The Eagles met here. 9081 Santa Monica Boulevard. West Hollywood, CA 90069
- First Avenue & 7th Street Entry – Minneapolis' best venue took a starring role in "Purple Rain" alongside the artist once again known as Prince. 701 N. First Ave. Minneapolis, MN
- The Bluebird Theater in Denver – The Bluebird hosts the best national acts in Denver. The theater was also a major breeding ground for the Denver Sound. Located on Colfax, it's near everything and the sound is near perfect, making it one of the 10 best concert venues in America. 3317 East Colfax Avenue. Denver, CO 80206
- The Wilma Theatre in Missoula – An old movie house, the Wilma is the place to see music in Montana. Close to the university, it gets all the big names. The atmosphere can't be beat. 131 South Higgins Avenue. Missoula, MT 59802
- Emo's Austin – The breakthrough spot in Texas' most alternative town is Emo's. Artists from At the Drive-In to Trail of Dead have cut their teeth here. Emo's is one of the best concert venues in America, but not one of the biggest; get there early. 603 Red River St. Austin TX 78701
- The Hi-Tone in Memphis – The best venue in Memphis, and one of the best music venues in America, is not on Beale. Instead, it's in thriving Midtown, attracting the best local and national talent. For real rock and roll late into the night, the Hi-Tone delivers. 1913 Poplar Avenue. Memphis, TN 38104
- The Empty Bottle in Chicago – A gritty place to see an up-and-coming band, the Empty Bottle can be hard to get to. The journey is worth it. Anyone who matters has played here. 1035 N. Western Avenue. Chicago, IL 60622
What Others Are Reading Right Now.
10 Red Flags That Kill Your Chances With Women
Wondering why that first date didn’t lead to a second? Read on.
How to Turn (Almost) Every Lady’s Head
Top female stylists share their favorite men’s looks.
6 Signs the Beard Is Just Not Working for You
You may need to grab a razor and ditch the facial fuzz.