10 Best Country Music Christmas Songs
Light the fireplace and trim the tree to the twanging sounds of these 10 best country music Christmas songs. From traditional hymns to the purely ridiculous, at least one of these holiday favorites will get any country fan's toe tapping.
- "Christmas in Dixie" by Alabama. How could we start any Christmas country list without this classic Alabama song? Perhaps the quintessential song about Christmas in the south, Alabama nailed the feeling of a good ole country Christmas.
- "O Holy Night" by Martina McBride. It takes an incredible voice to sing this song well, and Martina McBride's impressive vocals do this classic hymn justice. McBride doesn't overdress or oversell the song like many country divas would have. Look for the acapella version of this song for a true showing of McBride's talent.
- "Santa Looks a Lot Like Daddy" by Buck Owens. Buck Owens put out this classic country holiday hit while many artists on this list were still wishing for their two front teeth.
- "Silent Night" by Faith Hill. Half of country's biggest power couple, Faith Hill rules the country airwaves like a Mississippi queen. Her version of "Silent Night" epitomizes contemporary country.
- "It Wasn't His Child" by Trisha Yearwood. Trisha Yearwood takes the classic nativity story and tells another's story: Joseph's.
- "Mary Did You Know" by Rascal Flatts. Perhaps the most modern song on this list, Rascal Flatt's harmonies bring something new to this song that's often been done by country artists.
- "Pretty Paper" by Willie Nelson. Willie Nelson's classic country Christmas song packs a punch if you stop to listen to the subtle story.
- A Christmas to Remember" by Dolly Parton and Kenny Rogers. While we fully admit this is 80's cheese in all its glory, there's something nostalgically wonderful about the classic combination of Kenny and Dolly.
- "Grandma Got Run Over by a Reindeer" by Elmo and Patsy. "Should we open up her gifts or send 'em back? Send 'em back!" While this song may not be your traditional steel guitar country song, this song has an unmistakable country twang and playful storyline.
- "Ding-a-ling the Christmas Bell" by Lynn Anderson. Easily the cheesiest song on this list, Lynn Anderson warbles her way through this Rudolph knock-off carol about a bell who rings off-key but still manages to guide Santa's sleigh.
Posted on: Dec. 31, 2010