When it comes to music that's proud to be American, country music cannot be beat; the 10 best country patriotic songs convey the maverick spirit and resilience of American values above all others. The 10 best country patriotic songs come from all eras of country music, from the humble beginnings to the dominant Nashville sound of now. Here are the 10 best country patriotic songs:
- "God Bless the USA" by Lee Greenwood - Sometimes referred to as the "unofficial national anthem," this song says all it needs to say, "I'm proud to be an American." Enter a karaoke bar in any heartland state and you're sure to hear Greenwood's anthem sung with pride and a salute with beer in hand.
- "The Ballad of Ira Hayes" by Johnny Cash – The Man in Black's story-song chronicling a Native American of the Pima tribe who was one of the men to raise the flag at Iwo Jima is a wartime country anthem. It is definitely one of the 10 best country patriotic songs.
- "Fighting Side of Me" by Merle Haggard – Merle's entry on the 10 best country patriotic songs list shows you can be a counter-cultural figure and still love your country. Few men embodied both sides as well as Mr. Merle.
- "Courtesy of the Red, White & Blue (The Angry American)" by Toby Keith - Anger after 9/11 fueled this contemporary entry on the list of 10 best country patriotic songs. Some dislike the spirit of the tune, while others love it.
- "Ragged Old Flag" by Johnny Cash - Another entry on the list of 10 best country patriotic songs for the Man in Black; "Ragged Old Flag" beautifully chronicles the life of one flag as the symbol for America as a whole. Few patriotic songs are as wistfully beautiful.
- "The Eagle" by Waylon Jennings – A later tune from the king of outlaw country, "The Eagle" is a symbolic masterpiece. It surely belongs on any list of country patriotic songs.
- "In America" by Charlie Daniels - This entry had a re-release after 9/11. Charlie pulls no punches on this patriotic anthem.
- "The Law is for Protection of the People" by Kris Kristofferson - This song from counter-cultural songwriter Kristofferson took another tack. It was about protecting the rights of Americans, no matter what they believe.
- "Country Heroes" by Hank Williams III - The scion of the Williams clan celebrates country music and his country on this anthem. It's rousing, rowdy, and inspirational.
- "Some Gave All" by Billy Ray Cyrus – For those who only know Billy Ray as the father of Miley or the owner of an "Achy Breaky Heart," this heartfelt song may come as a surprise. This tribute to fallen soldiers is a fitting conclusion to the list of 10 best country patriotic songs.
Yup, it’s just about that time of year: Independence Day, when we celebrate everything that makes this country great. An ...
It doesn't take much to get a military wife crying. The right tune with the right lyrics (namely a song about a soldier' ...
Combine great sound and good looks in a single package with the Anthem Tracks HD headphones from Sol Republic.