If you're looking for a list of the 10 best country sad songs, then you've come to the right place. Broken hearts, lost loves and there's probably a pickup truck in here too. Whether you're a fan of country music or not, these are some of the most beautiful and touching best country sad songs in the world.
- "What Hurts the Most" by Rascal Flatts. Unrequited love always makes for one of the best country sad songs, and Rascal Flatts' "What Hurts the Most" is no exception. When a couple splits up, the man sings "What hurts the most, was being so close and having so much to say, and watching you walk away."
- "God's Will" by Martina McBride. Martina McBride is known for her powerful and heartfelt country sad songs. "God's Will" is the story of a little boy who is terminally ill and how his selflessness and love teaches the singer to be a better person.
- "Paint Me a Birmingham" by Tracy Lawrence. An artist tells the singer, for $20, he can paint anything. The singer then asks the artist to paint him a Birmingham, exactly how it was before he lost his love. It's one of those lonely and sad country songs that many can relate to.
- "Just a Dream" by Carrie Underwood. If you enjoy country sad songs, you'll definitely want to give a listen to "Just a Dream," by Carrie Underwood. It's a young woman's tortured tale of how she and her sweetheart plan to marry, but he goes off to war and never comes back, leaving her nothing but her dreams and a folded up flag to remember him by.
- "Where've You Been" by Kathy Mattea. "Where've You Been" is a touching song of a married couple who've been married for 60 years. But as they grow older, they both end up in a hospital on different floors and she slowly begins to slip away as dementia sets in. But one day, he is brought up to see her at her bedside and she recognizes her husband once again. It's one of the best country sad songs for couples who have been together for a long time.
- "Concrete Angel" by Martina McBride. One of the most heartbreaking country sad songs is "Concrete Angel." This is a powerful tale about a little girl who was the victim of abuse, and about all of the people who turned their faces away and didn't get involved until it was too late.
- "How Can I Help You Say Goodbye?" by Patty Loveless. If you've ever left loved ones behind, this is sure to rank high on your list of best country sad songs. It's a beautiful song about losing people that you love.
- "He Stopped Loving Her Today" by George Jones. A powerful country sad song, George Jones' hit song, "He Stopped Loving Her Today" is the story of a man who continues to hold a torch for the woman he believes was the love of his life, even after she moves on. He continues to do so, until the day that he finally passes away, hence the title of the song.
- "Go Rest High On That Mountain" by Vince Gill. "Go Rest High On That Mountain" is one of the best country sad songs for anyone who has lost a loved one. A very touching and tender song, it's sure to bring a tear to the eye of all who listen to it.
- "Wish You Were Here" by Mark Wills. Another one of the best sad country songs is "Wish You Were Here" by Mark Wills. It tells the story of a couple who are in love. One day, he goes away on a trip and at the airport, he finds a postcard that says "Heaven" on the front. He writes her a loving message on the back and drops it in the mail before he gets on the plane. Unfortunately, the plane crashes and there are no survivors but, a few weeks later, she gets this postcard from Heaven, saying "Wish You Were Here."
What Others Are Reading Right Now.
Acting, comedy and strong spirits converge in Speakeasy. When host Paul F. Tompkins interviews entertainers—Key and Peele, Alison Brie, Rob Delaney, Zach Galifianakis—about all sor …
Made Man Food Shows
We all love great food—and the people who make it! Our culinary video series introduces you to the country's best chefs and experts, so you can become one yourself. Pull up a chair …
21 Fantastic Facts About Ronda Rousey
This trivia’s like her fights: quick and jarring.