10 Best Country Songs 2009
The 10 best country songs of 2009 have ranked high on Billboard's Hot Country Songs Chart and received critical praise. All ten of the best country songs from 2009 have been nominated for either a CMT Award, Country Music Award, Grammy Award or is off a Grammy-nominated album. Fans and critics who embrace country music is why these are the ten best country songs from 2009.
- "Need You Now" by Lady Antebellum The best country song of 2009 is about yearning for companionship in the middle of the night. This song reached number one on the Hot Country Songs Charts and stayed there for five weeks, making it the longest running song in the top spot for 2009. This country song won both Single of the Year and Song of the Year at the ACM Awards.
- "Big Green Tractor" by Jason Aldean Released in 2009 off the "Wide Open" album, this was Aldean's third number one hit on the Billboard Country Charts. This song is one of the best country songs from 2009 because it spent four weeks at number one. Aldean's career changed after country's popularity grew and he went from crowds of 3,000 to 8,000 at his concerts.
- "You Belong With Me" by Taylor Swift During the 2009 MTV Video Music Awards, Swift won Best Female Video for this song and Kanye West jumped on stage interrupting her speech. That drove this country song in the top five Billboard Hot 100 and Country Songs Charts simultaneously, which hadn't happened since 2000. "You Belong With Me" is off the Grammy-winning Best Country Album, "Fearless."
- "White Liar" by Miranda Lambert This 2009 country song is about a woman confronting her man for cheating and deceiving her, then admits in the song's bridge she's been lying too. One of the best country songs of 2009 because it was nominated for Country Music Award's Single of the Year and Song of the Year.
- "Then" by Brad Paisley One of the ten best country songs from 2009 because it's a heartfelt love song, the kind Brad Paisley had not done before. The country love song ended up number one for three straight weeks on the Billboard Country Charts during 2009, making it Paisley's tenth consecutive chart-topper.
- "Do I" by Luke Bryan This 2009 country song is the lead single from "Doin' My Thing." The popular country song was co-written with Dave Haywood and Charles Kelley from Lady Antebellum and the group's singer, Hillary Scott, provides backing vocals. The song peaked at number two on the Billboard Country Charts.
- "Sweet Thing" by Keith Urban This country song spent two weeks in March 2009 at the number one spot on Billboard's Hot Country Charts. It reached number 30 on Billboard Hot 100. This country song is a look back at the first pangs of new love. At the 52nd Grammy Awards, it won Best Male Country Vocal Performance.
- "Hillbilly Bone" by Blake Shelton The 2009 country song is the title track from Shelton's second EP, which features guest vocals from Trace Adkins. The song was such a commercial and critical success that Adkins included it on his 2010 album, "Cowboy's Back in Town." The song won the Academy of Country Music Award for Vocal Event of the Year.
- "The House That Built Me" by Miranda Lambert This was the first country number one for Lambert that is about having that home or that person that made you who you are. This heartfelt tune is one of the best country songs of 2009 because it was commercially and critically successful by earning nominations at the Country Music Awards for Best Song, Best Single and Best Music Video.
- "Out Last Night" by Kenny Chesney Released in 2009, this country song recounts what happened at a party that took place the previous night. It's a fun song that captures how you should take time to have fun in the moment. This was Chesney's seventeenth number one on the Hot Country Songs Chart and his fourth consecutive chart-topper.