10 Best Country Songs Of 2009
10 Best Country Songs of 2009 cover a range of musical styles. The artists range from new groups to a true legend. These songs all peaked high on the charts and most received music awards. In 2009 the trend of pop-style country music continued. Many of these songs that could easily cross over to other genres. Country music is no longer just ballads about tractors, boots, and barbeque. Although as you will see, a few of the best country songs of 2099 don't stray far from their country roots.
- “I Run to You”. Lady Antebellum topped the charts with this country song from their self-titled debut album. This song won the CMA Single of the Year Award for 2009 and it won a Grammy Award for Best Country Performance by a Duo or Group with Vocals making it one of the best country songs of the year.
- “Whatever It Is”. Zac Brown’s single from the album "The Foundation" peaked at number 2 on the Billboard Country Charts. The Zac Brown Band had 4 CMA nominations and three Grammy nominations and for good reason. This band's blend of country and reggae with some bluegrass thrown in is a fresh sound in country music.
- “Boots On”. Randy Houser’s first top ten hit is from his album "Anything Goes". This tune reached number 2 on the country charts. This singer and songwriter was nominated in 2009 for Music Video of the Year for this country song and also for New Artist of the Year. He says the song was inspired by his dad telling him to "go through life with your boots on". In other words, do what you love to do.
- "It Won't Be Like This For Long". Darius Rucker’s voice was made for country songs like this. The former lead singer of “Hootie and the Blowfish” makes his mark on country music with this ballad. This story of children and how they change your life and how fast time passes was one of the best country songs videos too.
- “River of Love”. George Strait never seems to run out of great songs, one reason his fans range from pre-teens to senior citizens. This his 80th Top Ten hit on the Billboard country charts and his 44th number one hit. He still puts out the some of the best country songs in the business.
- “Sideways”. Dierks Bentley’s song reached number one on the charts. This song from his fifth album "Feel that Fire" is his 7th number one country song. He won the CMT Performance of the Year Award in 2009 for another song, “Country Boy”.
- “People are Crazy”. Billy Currington hit number one for the third time with this song from his album "Little Bit of Everything". Currington's baritone tells the story of an old man and a young man who meet in a bar and leave a lasting impression. This soft rock country song was written by the legendary Bobby Braddock along with Troy Jones
- “Alright”. Darius Rucker’s third hit single from the album "Learn to Live". Rucker is the first African American to have a top ten hit since Charley Pride. Although the concept of appreciating what you have is a cliche, Rucker makes you feel grateful for what you have in a new way.
- “Sweet Thing”. This is Keith Urban’s first single from the album "Defying Gravity". In the video you can see Urban’s Ford Mustang which inspired the song. This was Urban’s tenth number one hit country song.
- “Big Green Tractor”. Jason Aldean had a number one country song for four weeks with this song, Jim Collins. who wrote “She Thinks My Tractor’s Sexy” for Kenny Chesney, co-wrote the song with the David Lee Murphy.