Get ready for some tales of rocky relationships with this list of the 10 best country songs about cheating. Love and heartbreak are big topics for country music. Nothing breaks a heart more than being cheated on and these country artists will agree.
- "Before He Cheats" by Carrie Underwood (2006) This song was originally meant for Gretchen Wilson. The song is the country music anthem for cheating rage. If you hear your woman singing along to this song and you’ve been a bad boy, you better run. In February 2008, the song became the first country song to achieve RIAA certification as a Double-Platinum Digital Single.
- "Your Cheatin’ Heart" by Hank Williams (1953) This is a classic country song. The story behind the song is Williams was in his car telling his fiancé (later his wife), Billie Jean Jones, about his first wife's, Audrey Willams, cheating heart. He had Jones take down the lyrics. Over the years, the song has been covered by many artists.
- "She’s Actin’ Single (I’m Drinkin’ Doubles)" by Gary Stewart (1975) This song is about a man sitting in the bar while his wife flirts with other men. He drinks doubles trying to convince himself he should take it as a compliment. One of the best lines of the song is “I’m not man enough to stop her from doing me wrong.”
- "The Cold hard Facts of Life" by Porter Wagoner (1967) This is a very chilling song. The narrator tell how he is coming home from a business trip early and plans to surprise his wife with champagne. Another man is buying wine for a party. It comes out the other man is sleeping with the narrator’s wife, when he sees the man drive to his house. He then greets the pair with a knife.
- "Who’s Cheatin’ Who" by Alan Jackson (1997) This is a song about rumors going around in a marriage about cheating. When the song came out, there were multiple rumors about Jackson’s marriage. Later, Jackson admitted to infidelity.
- "Rudy, Don’t Take Your Love to Town" by Kenny Rogers (1969) This song was written by Mel Tillis. Reportedly, Tillis based the song on a couple who lived near him. In the song the narrator, a paralyzed war veteran, must watch his cheating wife prepare to go on a date. In the song, the narrator just dreams of shooting his wife, but apparently the man Tillis based the song on killed his wife in a murder-suicide.
- "Ol’ Red" by Blake Shelton (2002) This song is the story of a man who catches his wife cheating and kills her, earning himself 90 years on a prison farm. He then hatches a plan of escape using the tracking hound at the prison, Ole Red. Shelton had to fight to get the song to be released as a single.
- "The Thunder Rolls" by Garth Brooks (1991) The song was originally recorded by Tanya Tucker but was never released until her self-titles box set in 1995. The song was written by Brooks and Pat Alger. The song is about a man cheating on his wife while she worries about his safety.
- "Long Black Veil" by Lefty Frizzell (1959) This is the song of a man accused of a murder he didn’t commit but his only alibi was cheating with his best friend’s wife. He dies rather than tell the truth and the song is told by his ghost. The woman is said to mourn him in the night wearing a long black veil. The song was inspired by a legend with a similar story.
"A Woman Know"s by Kenny Chesney (1999) This song is about a woman who knows her man is cheating but has no proof. One of the best lines of this song is: “She can’t lay her finger on a single lipstick stain.” Like many of Chesney’s songs, it’s very catchy.
What Others Are Reading Right Now.
Acting, comedy and strong spirits converge in Speakeasy. When host Paul F. Tompkins interviews entertainers—Key and Peele, Alison Brie, Rob Delaney, Zach Galifianakis—about all sor …
Made Man Food Shows
We all love great food—and the people who make it! Our culinary video series introduces you to the country's best chefs and experts, so you can become one yourself. Pull up a chair …
We all love fine food—and the people who make it! Eats introduces you to those folks, taking you into the kitchens of all kinds of culinary luminaries. From BBQ to vegan, eco-frien …