10 Best Country Songs About Leaving
Looking for the 10 best country songs about leaving? The history of country music is full of country songs about leaving. Whether the songs are about someone dying, someone cheating or someone just having to say goodbye, these songs can all bring a tear to the eye.
- “He Stopped Loving Her Today” by George Jones - George Jones quintessential sad song was the artists first No. 1 in six years and helped propel the musician back to the top of the charts. This country song about leaving talks about a man whose lover betrays him but he continues to love her until the day he died.
- “I’ll Wait For You” by Joe Nichols - This country song about leaving follows a man who is often travelling who tries to get back home to his ill wife. He is always late but she promises to always wait for him. This time he is too late and she dies before he makes it back home but she leaves him a note promising she will wait for him in Heaven.
- “The Beaches of Cheyenne” by Garth Brooks - This country song about leaving tells the story of a couple who have a fight before the man leaves for a rodeo and his wife tells him she doesn’t care if he ever comes back. When he dies at the rodeo, she goes crazy and races into the beaches of Cheyenne and no one ever sees her again.
- “You’ll Think of Me” by Keith Urban - “You’ll Think of Me” is a song that reached No. 1 on the charts in 2004. This country song about leaving is about a man who catches his wife cheating on him. The song is a goodbye song where the singer feels he will do fine without the girl.
- “Whiskey Lullaby” by Brad Paisley - Brad Paisley released “Whiskey Lullaby” as a duet with Alison Krauss. This country song about leaving tells about a man who leaves his wife and eventually drinks himself to death. In response, the woman blames herself and follows suit, taking her own life as well.
- “What Hurts the Most” by Rascal Flats - “What Hurts the Most” is a cover song that hit it big when Rascal Flats released it in 2006, when it reached the top of the charts. This country song about leaving is about lost love and losing someone when you felt you still had something to offer.
- “When I Call Your Name” by Vince Gill - “When I Call Your Name” is a song that reached No. 2 on the charts. This country song about leaving tells the story of a man who rushes home from work one day to find his wife has left him. The note found on the table says her love died but his still remains strong.
- “The Best I Ever Had” by Gary Allen - This country song about leaving is a cover of a Vertical Horizon song. It is about the effect a woman who leaves has on the man left behind. The song takes on an even stronger meaning since he recorded it shortly after Allen’s wife committed suicide.
- “If I Don’t Make it Back” by Tracy Lawrence - Tracy Lawrence released “If I Don’t Make it Back” as a new song on his 2005 greatest hits album “Then & Now.” This country song about leaving is centered on a young man leaving for military duty and asking his friends to “have a beer for me” if he doesn’t make it back.
- “Leaving on a Jet Plane” by John Denver - John Denver released this song in 1969. This country song about leaving is about a man leaving for a long trip and asking his woman to wait for him to return to her. The Peter, Paul and Mary cover reached No. 1 on the charts.