Discovering the 10 Best Dallas Mavericks Players of All Time would normally be a simple proposition for a team that only begin its existence in 1980. However, the Mavericks have been fortunate to have some outstanding talent come through the city during this time.
- Dirk Nowitzki – Dirk was acquired in a draft day trade in 1998 with the Milwaukee Bucks. Statistically speaking, Dirk Nowitzki is regarded as the best Dallas Maverick player of all time. Dirk is the all time Dallas Mavericks scoring leader, has been selected to 9 all-star teams, led the team to its first NBA finals appearance in team history in 2005-2006, and won the NBA league MVP in 2006-2007.
- Steve Nash – Steve served as the Starting Point Guard for the Dallas Mavericks from 1998-2004. While he had a relatively brief tenure in Dallas, his impact was large. While with the Mavericks, Steve Nash was selected to two All Star games and led the team in assists each year. His impact and lasting impression on the Dallas Mavericks cannot be understated as he helped develop the winning culture inside the team.
- Rolando Blackman – Blackman played with the Mavericks from 1981-1992. He was a four-time NBA All Star and finished his career as the all time Dallas Mavericks scoring leader. This is a title he held until Dirk Nowitzki broke his record in 2008.
- Mark Aquire – Mark was selected as the number one overall pick in the 1981 NBA draft. He averaged over 20 points per game for the duration of his career and was selected to three NBA All Star teams. Mark ranks third in Mavericks team history for total points scored in a career.
- Jamal Mashburn – Jamal was selected as the number four overall pick in the 1993 NBA draft. Mashburn was part of the famed "Triple J" ensemble of talented players. The other two "J's" consisted of Jimmy Jackson and Jason Kidd. Lead by Mashburn, this nucleus of young players provided the Mavericks with the largest single season turnaround in the NBA during the 1994-1995 season.
- Jason Kidd – Jason Kidd began his hall of fame career after being selected by the Dallas Mavericks with the number two overall pick. Kidd's ability to score a triple double on any given night has made him a lethal force throughout his career. Though his first tenure in Dallas from 1994-1997 was brief, his ability to make his teammates better helped propel the Mavericks to a significant improvement. During the 2008-2009 season, one in which the Mavericks had low expectation to perform well in the playoffs, Jason Kidd proved his value by helping lead his team to a shocking first round playoff triumph over the San Antonio Spurs.
- Derek Harper – Derek was selected as the number eleven overall pick in the 1983 draft. He played with the Mavericks for eleven seasons and is often regarded as the best player in the history of the NBA to have never been selected to an All Star game. He averaged 15 points per game and sits in third place on the Dallas Mavericks all time scoring list.
- Brad Davis – Brad played with the Mavericks from 1980-1992 and became the first Maverick in history to have his jersey number retired. Davis was known for his work ethic, consistency and ability to lead the team.
- James Donaldson – James joined the Mavericks in 1985. He was a stout defender that provided intense rebounding and shot blocking. He was selected to the All Star team in 1988.
- Michael Finley – Michael was acquired via a trade with the Phoenix Suns in 1996. He was a two time NBA All-Star and was a key member of the Mavericks "Big 3." The "Big 3" consisted of Michael Finley, Steve Nash and Dirk Nowitzki. Finley was a team leader and fan favorite throughout his tenure with the Mavericks.
This is a list of the best 10 basketball players while wearing a Dallas Mavericks uniform. Other great players have passed through Dallas but experienced their individual years of brilliance suiting up for another team.
What Others Are Reading Right Now.
15 Shirts Women Simply Can’t Resist—and Why
From Ts to button-downs and beyond, these must-haves will get her everlovin’ attention.
Beware These Telltale Signs Your Woman Is a Gold Digger
Now we ain’t sayin’ she is... but here are some clues.
Why Your Wife May Be Unhappy in Your Marriage and How it Can...
Don't shoot the messenger. This is what science says.