If you like films like "Donnie Darko" or "Fight Club," chances are that you'll want to check out this list of the 10 best dark movies. Whether you like classic black and white films or futuristic satire, there are some great dark movies out there that everyone should see. To help kick off your film noir marathon, we've gathered up a list of some of the best dark movies of all time. If you haven't seen these, best add them to your DVD queue.
- "Heathers" (1989) If you're looking for one of the best dark movies and you like macabre tales about teenagers, you'll want to check out this cult classic starring Winona Ryder and Christian Slater. To put it mildly, this high school clique makes "Mean Girls" look like a catfight on "Glee."
- "Bad Santa" (2003) One of the best dark movies with a holiday twist is the warped comedy "Bad Santa." We don't want to ruin the plot for you, but let's just say that you don't want this guy sliding down your chimney come Chistmas Eve (or any other time).
- "Donnie Darko" (2001) If you thought "Harvey" was trippy, wait until you check out this dark movie starring Jake Gyllenhaal, Jena Malone and Mary McDonnell. A troubled teen is haunted by visions of a twisted rabbit which manipulates him into committing various crimes.
- "Edward Scissorhands" (1990) Tim Burton is the master of some of the best dark movies out there and "Edward Scissorhands" was perhaps the first film to truly showcase his talents. Starring Johnny Depp as the malformed Edward, this is an amazing film that's both dark and equally touching.
- "Blue Velvet" (1986) One of the best dark movies about what can lurk just beneath the surface of our lives, "Blue Velvet" stars Kyle MacLachlan, Dennis Hopper and Isabella Rossellini. It all starts with a severed human ear; where it goes from there is pure cult classic.
- "Brazil" (1985) If you enjoy post-apocalyptic or retro-future films, you might agree that "Brazil" is one of the best dark movies of all time. Obviously influenced by the George Orwell classic "1984," this film is a must-see for any sci-fi or cult movie fan.
- "The Game" (1997) Some people believe the best dark movies are the ones with plot twists and unexpected turn of events. If that's your cup of tea, don't miss out on the psychological thriller "The Game," starring Michael Douglas. This film will keep you guessing right through to the very end.
- "Fight Club" (2004) Considered to be one of the top cult films and best dark movies of the '90s, "Fight Club" stars Edward Norton and Brad Pitt as a couple of men who set out to help men vent their aggressions in a more productive manner. This movie is dark, twisted and a true masterpiece.
- "Jacob's Ladder" (1990) If you're looking for one of the best dark movies about the supernatural, be sure to check out this dark classic. The main character is a New York postal worker and Vietnam veteran. Intermingling flashbacks from the war with those of his dead son and his first marriage, it's not hard to see this man as a bomb that's about ready to explode.
- "Dr. Strangelove, Or: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Bomb" (1964) This is an oldie, but definitely a goodie! If you're looking for one of the best dark movies out there, and you don't mind watching a black and white classic, be sure to give this movie a view. Twisted, dark and as funny as they come, this is a Stanley Kubrick film at its best.
What Others Are Reading Right Now.
10 Red Flags That Kill Your Chances With Women
Wondering why that first date didn’t lead to a second? Read on.
Acting, comedy and strong spirits converge in Speakeasy. When host Russell Peters interviews entertainers about all sorts of topics, neither the drinks nor the conversation is wate …
6 Signs the Beard Is Just Not Working for You
You may need to grab a razor and ditch the facial fuzz.