10 Best Democratic Quotes
Here are the 10 best democratic quotes as stated by democrats or about democrats.
- "The best argument against democracy is a five minute chat with the average voter." -- Winston Churchill, British politician. Churchill said this in the 1930s (when people were much more politically astute). Imagine if he knew people voted in the 2008 Presidential elections based on what music the candidate likes. Unarguably, one of the best democratic quotes.
- “I think flying planes into a building was a faith-based initiative. I think religion is a neurological disorder.” -- Bill Maher, comedian and host of HBO's "Real Time." Maher was explaining that religion can justify "crazy" behavior and that it is not limited to one religion. Christianity, like other religions makes people "stop thinking" and blindly follow the authority of another person.
"I choose bold. I choose action. I choose what's right for the people. I choose to make a difference." --Bill Richardson, in the State of the State Address. Richardson, Governor of New Mexico is known for his Bold actions. Richardson signed a bill to make Medical Marijuana legal in the State of New Mexico, which has drawn much controversy.
- "I look at these people and can't quite believe that they exist. Are they professional actors? I wonder. Or are they simply laymen who want a lot of attention? To put them in perspective, I think of being on an airplane. The flight attendant comes down the aisle with her food cart and, eventually, parks it beside my seat. "Can I interest you in the chicken?" she asks. "Or would you prefer the platter of sh*t with bits of broken glass in it? To be undecided in this election is to pause for a moment and then ask how the chicken is cooked." --David Sedaris, actor. Sedaris' example of one of the best democratic quotes pertains to the undecided voters in the 2008 presidential election. Sedaris was confused as to how it was not a "given" that people would vote for the Obama/Biden ticket, despite their potential problems with Obama. How could people vote for a 74 year old man and a community college dropout?
- "Things aren't looking good for Hillary. Like a lot of women in Washington, I think she's just starting to realize she may have slept with Bill Clinton for nothing." --Jay Leno, Television Host. Leno's entry on the list of best democratic quotes was after Hillary lost the 2008 Democratic nomination for President to Barack Obama. One asset Hillary was said to have had over Barack is that Bill Clinton would have been "first man." Former President, Bill Clinton is still quite popular amongst Democrats.
- 'America's Healthcare system is neither healthy, caring, nor a system." --Walter Cronkite, late anchorman for CBS News. Cronkite was speaking about the problems with the American Health Care system (or lack thereof) when talk of Healthcare reform first began in the 2008 presidential race.
- "I believe marriage is meant to be a sacred institution between two unwilling teenagers." --Tina Fey, impersonating Sarah Palin in the VP debate. Fey's quote was from a Saturday Night Live skit, a parody of the VP debate between Biden and Palin.
- "This is a big f***ing deal." --Joe Biden, Vice President. Biden Congratulated President Obama on the passage on the 2010 Health Care reform Bill. Biden's comment was a little too loud as it was only intended for the ears of Obama. Biden's "profanity" was found to be very offensive to Republicans.
- "I have been thinking that I would make a proposition to my Republican friends... that if they will stop telling lies about the Democrats, we will stop telling the truth about them." --Adlai Stevenson, Politician. Stevenson's addition to the list of the best democratic quotes was made during the 1952 presidential race. Stevenson ran for the Democratic nomination twice.
- "The essence of the Liberal outlook lies not in what opinions are held, but in how they are held: instead of being held dogmatically, they are held tentatively, and with a consciousness that new evidence may at any moment lead to their abandonment." --Bertrand Russell, Philosopher and Logician. Russell made the list of hte best democratic quotes on the logic of what distinguishes liberals from conservatives.
Posted on: Apr. 09, 2010