Knowing the 10 best diesel trucks are crucial for those wanting a vehicle that has good fuel economy, more torque for towing and requires less maintenance than gasoline pickup trucks. Diesel trucks in general are also known to have a better resale value compared to their gasoline counterparts.
- 1997 Ford Super Duty F-450 7.3L Diesel. This workhorse is known for being durable and trouble-free. Although it is one of the older trucks on this list, the 19974 F-450 is still a favorite among business owners wanting an affordable truck with massive hauling power and a wide flat bed.
- 2007 GMC C5500 Kodiak 6.6L Diesel. The Kodiak comes with a Duramax 6600 engine which was designed in part by the fine engineers from Isuzu. The 6.6 liter powerhouse has been known to produce 605 pound-feet of torque and 300 horsepower. Despite its large imposing size, the truck can still be insured as a daily driver and not a commercial vehicle.
- 2002 Ford F250 7.3L Diesel. Another noteworthy pickup in Ford's impressive line of diesel trucks, this F-250 is another favorite among those seeking a heavy duty truck. The V8 engine is arguably one of the most fuel efficient in its class.
- 2010 GMC Sierra 2500 6.6L Diesel. Properly equipped, the GMC Sierra can safely tow up to 13,000 pounds. The 2010 Sierra is also getting praises for a comfortable ride and excellent vehicle control for such a burly vehicle.
- 2004 Dodge Ram 5.9L Diesel. While this may well be one of the weaker diesel trucks due to its smaller engine displacement, the 2004 Dodge Ram still performs extremely well and remains on of the most durable trucks on the road. Despite the love it or hate it design, the this 2004 Ram continues to have a strong following.
- 2007 Dodge 3500 6.7L Diesel. Equipped with a mighty 6.7 Liter Cummings engine, the 2007s Dodge 3500 is so quiet, it is hard to believe it is a diesel. The huge cabin is so comfortable that this pickup is a viable alternative to purchasing a used SUV.
- 1982 Toyota 2.2L Diesel. Although it is old and noisy even when it was brand new, this Toyota is considered a legend. Even in the used car market a beat-up 1982 Toyota in running condition might cost a couple of thousand at the very least.
- 2002 Chevrolet 2500 6.0L Diesel. A bullet-proof and almost indestructible truck. The 2002 Chevy came with a manual transmission option. Newer incarnations dropped the stick shift which is why those preferring a manual are in the lookout for older editions of this truck.
- 1997 Ford F350 7.3L Diesel. This classic square-body Ford truck is often sought after by collectors. Although it burns a little more fuel than its contemporaries, this truck is incredibly tough and outperforms even some of the newest trucks in the market.
- 2011 GMC Sierra Denali 6.6L Diesel. One of the best diesel trucks today, the 2011 Sierra combines both looks and function. The stylish exterior looks good in the city streets or on the country roads. The Duramax engine remains as fuel efficient as ever while still providing all the power most people will ever need.
What Others Are Reading Right Now.
Acting, comedy and strong spirits converge in Speakeasy. When host Paul F. Tompkins interviews entertainers—Key and Peele, Alison Brie, Rob Delaney, Zach Galifianakis—about all sor …
25 Enlightening Quotes About Being a Gentleman
What’s your definition of a perfect gent? LL Cool J, Lea Michele, Andy Samberg and friends weigh in.