Whether you are visiting New York or have just moved to town, knowing the ten best dive bars in NYC will be of much help to you and your wallet. All of these establishments offer drinks that won't leave you broke but still sober and entertainment like no other. Even the regulars are irregular at these hot spots in the dive bar category.
- Madame X. You will think you made a wrong turn when you walk into this bordello style bar decked out in red. The drinks are plentiful, the crowd is friendly and they are open until 4 a.m. every night. Madame X: 94 W. Houston St., New York, NY 10012.
- Down the Hatch. Play a video game while hanging out at this bar, considered on of the top ten best dive bars in NYC, while you enjoy the college-like atmosphere. The drinks are cheap and the crowd will keep you feeling young no matter how old you are. Down the Hatch: 179 W. 4th St., New York, NY 10014.
- McSorley's Old Ale House. This is the true definition of one of the top ten dive bars in NYC and has been since 1854. You will find the proof on the walls covered in New York and McSorley history. The bar is small and the floor is sticky but the beer is cheap and the best you will find around. Remember, they serve beer only, and you have two choices, light or dark. Order quick and tip well to ensure a great night out at a historical dive bar. McSorley's Old Ale House: 15 East 7th St., New York, NY 10003.
- Whiskey Ward. Check out the Whiskey Ward if you are seeking a classier kind of dive bar that still fits into the category of the ten best dive bars in NYC. Play some pool and eat some peanuts without sacrificing top shelf liquor and a great selection of beer and wine. Whiskey Ward: 121 Essex St., New York, NY 10002.
- 169 Bar. Visit the 169 Bar and see some of the city's undiscovered talent in the form of live entertainment and a must see on the list of the ten best dive bars in New York City. They are open until 4 a.m. and the music is pumping until then. 169 Bar: 169 E Broadway, New York, NY 10002.
Cheap Shots. Keep your bank roll in check and hang out at Cheap Shots, especially if it is your birthday, when you will drink for free. Shots are $2 but half off on Fridays and pitchers of your favorite beer are just a few dollars more. Cheap Shots: 140 1st Ave., New York, NY 10002.
Bull McCabe's. Even if you are years out of college, you will be welcomed with open arms into Bull McCabe's. If you ask around at NYU they will readily agree that this bar is among the ten best dive bars in NYC. Play pool, drink for cheap and walk away feeling satisfied. Bull McCabe's: 29 St. Marks Pl., New York, NY 10002.
- The Alibi. Check out The Alibi if you are prepared to get down and dirty and one of the top ten best dive bars in NYC. There are few amenities at The Alibi as air conditioning is something that they boast about. The entire place is covered in graffiti and there is one television but the crowd is jovial and the beverages are cheap, though limited. The Alibi: 242 DeKalb Ave., Brooklyn, NY 11205.
- Mars Bar. Don't even try to classify this bar as classy, because it isn't. Entertaining, however, it is. The crowd is interesting to say the least but the drinks are cheap and there is a jukebox that works. Mars Bar: 25 E. 1st St., New York, NY 10003.
- Mona's. Visit Mona's for an entertaining group of people to drink with and great Irish music. This place truly is an Irish Pub mixed with a classic dive bar. And for those who aren't into that, there is live jazz music on Tuesdays. The list wouldn't be complete without including Mona's in the top ten best dive bars in NYC. Mona's: 224 Ave. B, New York, NY 10009.
What Others Are Reading Right Now.
6 Things You Think Your Girlfriend Cares About But She Doesn...
Guys, it may be time to refocus your efforts.
Acting, comedy and strong spirits converge in Speakeasy. When host Russell Peters interviews entertainers about all sorts of topics, neither the drinks nor the conversation is wate …
Pro Wrestling Tales That Will Make You Feel Like Fighting
Don't get too riled up.